How much food should I buy for My T's?

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I need some advice on how many roaches to buy for my T's
Switching to B.dubia roaches
Should I buy a 100 kit starter colony shipping is $16 dollars. makes it a total of $44
Or should I buy a 300 Kit Starter colony free shipping for $75.
:?

a hundred is only like 8 dozen I worry about them not getting established before I feed them all :D Then again I don't want to many and them to get out of control before I can feed them all.:}
Do female roaches deliver the babies in the substrate like those darn crickets laying eggs?

I have a
2" LP
3" T.blondi
6-7" T. spinipes
G. rosea x 2
1 A. avic

Any ideas?

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I guess it depends on how often you feed your T's. The starter colony will most likely have already gravid females ready to pop out a few dozen live nymphs. They reproduce pretty quickly. I would say go with 300 if you feed your T's once a week. I kept feeding off the medium sized dubias letting the small nymphs have time to grow to the proper feeding size. I would also feed off the adult males to try and keep about a 4:1 ratio Females to males. So far it's working out good for me.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
I guess it depends on how often you feed your T's. The starter colony will most likely have already gravid females ready to pop out a few dozen live nymphs. They reproduce pretty quickly. I would say go with 300 if you feed your T's once a week. I kept feeding off the medium sized dubias letting the small nymphs have time to grow to the proper feeding size. I would also feed off the adult males to try and keep about a 4:1 ratio Females to males. So far it's working out good for me.
Ah great thanks so much for the advice!! :):worship:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can also control their breeding a bit by adding/taking away a heat source. They breed much faster when they are a little warmer. If you start noticing too many just feed off some adults as mentioned above.

I switched mostly to lats because of the dubias burrowing habits. On the other hand, it is a bit fun watching a spider dig up their meal.

If you start with a few hundred that are mostly adults you will have quite a few nymphs in no time. However, you have a couple spiders with hearty appetites.

Good luck.

SarahAntula

Arachnopeon
You can also control their breeding a bit by adding/taking away a heat source. They breed much faster when they are a little warmer. If you start noticing too many just feed off some adults as mentioned above.

I switched mostly to lats because of the dubias burrowing habits. On the other hand, it is a bit fun watching a spider dig up their meal.

If you start with a few hundred that are mostly adults you will have quite a few nymphs in no time. However, you have a couple spiders with hearty appetites.

Good luck.
Good ideas :)
Thank you so much :clap::clap:
Yes I have some very hungry eating machines :D I buy 5 dozen crickets and they do not last that long. I am beginning to think the people in the LPS are wondering what the hell I am doing with all these crickets.
{D
worst case I can always feed the excess roaches to the Ferrets, and I'm sure the dogs would enjoy a tasty treat or two :D
Thanks again