How much experience for a Scolopendra?

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Hi this is my 1st time posting here and I've yet to actually get a myriapod, but I've seen a lot of people tackling Scolopendra Dehanni as their 1st pede. I've decided though that I'm just not ready for that . I've decided on either a alipes multicostis or a scolopendra polymorpha. Which one would be better for a 1st time pede, and about how much experience do you think would be needed for a pede or what to expect?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You want (my) pure truth? Frankly, when it comes to 'pedes, the only 'discriminating' (aside personal aesthetic choices) is the venom potency.

Which means that, a S.subspinipes (and other Asian 'pedes) at the end of the day, venom potency aside, isn't/aren't different at all (in behaviour, ability to escape etc) with a 'normal', pure WC in our Central-Southern Italian woods, S.cingulata.

This means that, is mandatory and I say mandatory, to offer, first thing first, a no escape enclosure. Because the differences in attitude isn't, when it comes to 'pedes, like the one we have with NW VS OW Theraphosidae: at all.

Personally my female S.subspinipes was my first 'pede (granted, I've entered into 'pedes after 25 years of Arachnids keeping, so I was prepared for high strung inverts) still I wouldn't call her 'defensive': I call her... 'calculator', extremely intelligent, an invert able to use all of the 'weakness' she can find (e.g a not full secure enclosure) for reach her goal, but no way crazy defensive like a pissed off OW Theraphosidae (more instinct, on that sense) can be.

Venom potency, as a matter of fact, as you know, is brutal when it comes to Asians.

My opinion? Choose what you prefer, they are a joy to keep :)

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Go for a poly. They tend to be very hardy as far as temperature and humidity go and also don't have powerful venom or cost that much. They get fairly large depending on the morph but never need huge enclosures. S. polymorpha also have a relatively calm temperament (although all 'pedes are fast and aggressive) and aren't very intimidating unlike a 7", raging dehaani.
Alipes are also not too hard to keep, but are more delicate and much more likely to escape. They are also a good bit more expensive.

If this is your first invert pet, polys are fine. Just remember that they are fast and prone to escapes. Watch some videos of centipedes, read up on care sheets, bite reports and escapes. Centipedes are not for everyone but I do encourage you to get one. They are amazing creatures that make rewarding pets.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all of you replies!!! As far as experience goes I only have a pretty pissed off asian forest scorpion and a curly hair. For the enclosure I’m thinking a large plastic jar about a foot in height and 10 inches wide. Would you happen to know the lifespan of a s. Polymorpha?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Thanks for all of you replies!!! As far as experience goes I only have a pretty pissed off asian forest scorpion and a curly hair. For the enclosure I’m thinking a large plastic jar about a foot in height and 10 inches wide. Would you happen to know the lifespan of a s. Polymorpha?
Polys live around 7-10 years in captivity but that number can be lower if the centipede was old when you got it or if it is overfed.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Get the Scolopendra polymorpha to start. It will give you an introduction to keeping centipedes.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nothing, don't be stupid, seriously, nothing is out of the question!! Use common sense!

Cheers,

Rob

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all of the replies!!! I'm guessing the large plastic cheese puff jar will be enough to house a polymorphs. If so how many inches should I fill it up if it's about a foot tall?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Polymorpha are great first pedes. Personally I got a dehanni as my first one though. In California where you live, you can find them also. They can Be kept in a large plastic jar I suppose, you can also use plastic tubs. Poke some air holes in them also. Offer them 3-4 inches of substrate at least, a water dish and a piece of wood as a hide works also. Even though they are ‘desert’ pedes, the substrate shouldn’t be bone dry but not too wet also. The venom is pretty mild, like a bee sting. They are fairly hearty also.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Oh cool!!! Would you happen to know where I could possibly find one? If not I'm planning on going to Repticon in Costa Mesa and picking up a few things. Though last time the only Scolopendra I could find was a Dehanni.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Where in cali do you live? I find them in San Diego, Palm Springs or la county. The last repticon I went to, I saw a table selling different localities of polymorpha from $15-$25. I’m planning to go to the same repticon also haha.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Really must've missed those at Repticon. I live in the north are of San Diego county.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I will have to say my Scolopendra polymorpha is a bit of a pet hole. I haven't actually seen it in over a month but I know it's there because it eats haha.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Really must've missed those at Repticon. I live in the north are of San Diego county.
This was the one in Pomona. I also saw subcrustalus, gigantea and others. In north San Diego you should have little trouble finding some. I also think aztecourm could be found if you get lucky. Go out and flip some rocks over haha!

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Really all those. Must've not looked hard enough I went to the last Pomona Replicon too. Only saw a couple of Dehanni and one scolopendra arizonensis.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Really all those. Must've not looked hard enough I went to the last Pomona Replicon too. Only saw a couple of Dehanni and one scolopendra arizonensis.
Really? I went there looking specifically for an arizoneisis and couldn’t find one. Had to order it online and overpaid..

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Would you happen to maybe remember the names of those vendors with all the pedes? Maybe you came to early? I went on the 2nd day and it was almost on a stool in a large critter keeper running laps in it's temporary setup.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I went the first day when they first opened. And no I don’t remember the vendor, but they were from Kansas.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Oh I think I bought a Heterometus Spinifer from that guy. Think his name was Tarantula Drew or something. Was it the guy who was right next to the poison dart frog boot?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Oh I think I bought a Heterometus Spinifer from that guy. Think his name was Tarantula Drew or something. Was it the guy who was right next to the poison dart frog boot?
Can’t remember, the booth was in the middle row though toward the back. They said they had an arizonensis actually but sold it before I got there. Actually I think you’re right who it was.