How much and how often are you supposed to feed a skeleton leg tarantula?

Celeano

Arachnopeon
I can’t edit the thread but the question was soposed to read how much and how often do you feed junvenille skeleton leg tarantulas, should I fed it every day or would that be too much?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
There is no one answer and there are many variables...feeding schedules really don't apply to ts...feed it at least a couple times a month.....or feed it every day...or anything in between.

But there is no real reason to feed every day....I can see feeding spiderlings every 3 days at most...juvies less...adults less often. Basically as the molt cycle increases, the feedings can have more time between them.

Then there is where the t is in the molt cycle....after molting any t will be at its thinnest and hungriest, and at this time you can feed larger prey, or feed smaller prey more often....but as the t plumps, the time between feedings should continually be extended. Fat ts do not require food...so if your fat t starts refusing food, it will likely refuse until after its next molt.

Also to consider...heavier feeding schedules lead directly to longer pre-molt fasting periods, so resist the urge to binge feed or your t may disappear for months on end.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can’t edit the thread but the question was soposed to read how much and how often do you feed junvenille skeleton leg tarantulas, should I fed it every day or would that be too much?
I feed often, no schedule. Just depends on their behavior.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I work off the following schedules, meals are no larger than the tarantula's abdomen.

Slings once every 3-5 days
Juveniles once every 7-10 days
Subadults/adults once every 2-3 weeks

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've never understood this...seems like a lifetime of laughably small meals. Ts are capable of so much more. JMO, nothing wrong with your personal rule/
Meals are usually around the same size as the abdomen, just not larger than it. Sure, I could feed larger meals but then I'd have to completely readjust my feeding schedules (which were worked out via a combination of advice from other keepers and then a bit of trial & error over time to refine). What I run with works fine for me, I'm still getting decent growth rates and I've only had 3 tarantulas (2 of which are Aphonopelma species, the other being a Brachypelma) out of well over 100 which have ever refused to eat for more than 2 or 3 months.

I don't really see the point in feeding more heavily right after a moult as they plump up over the course of a moult cycle with regular feeding anyway, or just winging feeding entirely which my personal circumstances don't allow for if I want to raise healthy animals but if it works for other people then have at it. If someone asks me how much and how often I feed then I'll answer with what I found works for me as a guideline and if people want to take that and run with it then cool, if they want to take that and fine-tune it for themselves then cool, if they want to do something else entirely then cool.

cold blood

Staff member
Meals are usually around the same size as the abdomen, just not larger than it. Sure, I could feed larger meals but then I'd have to completely readjust my feeding schedules (which were worked out via a combination of advice from other keepers and then a bit of trial & error over time to refine). What I run with works fine for me, I'm still getting decent growth rates and I've only had 3 tarantulas (2 of which are Aphonopelma species, the other being a Brachypelma) out of well over 100 which have ever refused to eat for more than 2 or 3 months.

I don't really see the point in feeding more heavily right after a moult as they plump up over the course of a moult cycle with regular feeding anyway, or just winging feeding entirely which my personal circumstances don't allow for if I want to raise healthy animals but if it works for other people then have at it. If someone asks me how much and how often I feed then I'll answer with what I found works for me as a guideline and if people want to take that and run with it then cool, if they want to take that and fine-tune it for themselves then cool, if they want to do something else entirely then cool.
Yes, as I said above, there is nothing wrong with your "rule", as I say often, 20 people could give 20 different schedules and each and every one could lead to the same healthy adult in the long run.....I was more along the lines of...If one had say, a dubia colony...with that rule you would never feed an adult dubia...The larger the meals, the less one has to feed, with larger collections this makes things easier on me.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was more along the lines of...If one had say, a dubia colony...with that rule you would never feed an adult dubia.
I have a dubia colony but I only feed the adults to my big girls (genic/stirmi/etc.) otherwise I'd be feeding them half a dozen red runners a time which is long (even if it is funny to watch).

The larger the meals, the less one has to feed, with larger collections this makes things easier on me.
Yeah, I get that if you have an absurdly large amount of Ts to feed and you're doing a good chunk of them in one go then you'd probably want to feed them less often. The way it works out for me is that I just feed a few (whichever ones I get a notification for) each morning.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
So I wasn’t planning on sharing this photo for two reasons, but will for the sake of discussion. One is it’s not a good pic, but two and more important is I think it came down to a bad decision on my part.

I don’t feed on a regular schedule, it’s based on T size, proportions of the abdomen in relation to the T size, general T food behavior and where I think a T is in terms of its molt cycle. Nothing scientific or overly thought out.

With that said, feeding could be a few times a week, it could be a few times a month. Size of food will vary based on proportions of the T in some cases, other times not so much.

Here is an example of a G. pulchra sling I got a few weeks back. It was on the larger side, and I decided to feed it a decent sized roach not expecting it to eat based on my assumption it was in heavy premolt and would refuse food. It ate. Should I have attempted to feed it based on the proportions before hand? Generally my answer would be no. Did I feed it, yes. Was it right or wrong to feed it, in hind site I feel like the answer is yes.
Will I feed it again before it molts, no.

B76917B7-EF96-4588-9850-187A95657552.jpeg

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I wasn’t planning on sharing this photo for two reasons, but will for the sake of discussion. One is it’s not a good pic, but two and more important is I think it came down to a bad decision on my part.

I don’t feed on a regular schedule, it’s based on T size, proportions of the abdomen in relation to the T size, general T food behavior and where I think a T is in terms of its molt cycle. Nothing scientific or overly thought out.

With that said, feeding could be a few times a week, it could be a few times a month. Size of food will vary based on proportions of the T in some cases, other times not so much.

Here is an example of a G. pulchra sling I got a few weeks back. It was on the larger side, and I decided to feed it a decent sized roach not expecting it to eat based on my assumption it was in heavy premolt and would refuse food. It ate. Should I have attempted to feed it based on the proportions before hand? Generally my answer would be no. Did I feed it, yes. Was it right or wrong to feed it, in hind site I feel like the answer is yes.
Will I feed it again before it molts, no.

View attachment 404768
Big Booty Judy!!!!!