How Many

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many Ts have to saved from a bad pet store or a bad owner. I saved my first this morning

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. Sadly, when we support buying wild caught animals (perhaps with exception of the few that are legitimately brought in to start captive breeding programs) and when we buy animals from pet stores, even when we feel sorry for them, it pays the bills of the people who put them in those bad conditions. It's of course admirable to help a T in bad shape, but we should also try to avoid supporting that industry and try to educate people as much as they will listen (which often isn't much) about what they could do to improve conditions for the animals they keep.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Exactly. The only times I buy from a petstore is to take advantage of a particular specimen.
For example, a mature female A. avic ready to molt, and a mature male A. seemani are the two I've 'rescued'.

-Sean

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pet stores don't care about the animals. The animals are a loss leader. In other words, they don't expect to make any money off them.. they are used to draw in customers. The money a petstore makes is on the supplies/food sold.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pet stores don't care about the animals. The animals are a loss leader. In other words, they don't expect to make any money off them.. they are used to draw in customers. The money a petstore makes is on the supplies/food sold.
I beg to differ, I have a few pestores that actually care about the animals, and are open to ideas for care. Not ALL petstores are bad; only the ones that care for their animals wrong and are offered better care condition, and then don't abide to them are the bad ones.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have to agree with paul . i work at a very large privately owned petshop , and we do our very best to keep our animals in proper conditions . all of our staff must pass written tests to even get hired . i work in the reptile department and i also keep and breed snakes on my own . infact everyone that works in the reptile department either breeds some type of reptiles , or keeps reptiles .

our department also is responsible for the arachnids which is why i have spent the last 8 or 10 months studying them . after much reading on the subject i decided to get a couple T's to further my studies . i also joined this forum so i could learn more .

i'm not saying all petshops are good , quite the contrary . i'm just saying that there are some very good petshops out there that do care about the animals they sell .

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I never buy wild caught and will always support captive breeders.