How many?

Phiddipus Bryan

Arachnopeon
How many Emperors can you safely house in a 20 gallon tank? I was going to order relatively young, small ones.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It depends on how much space you personally want to give them, but I say you can fit 5 of them at least.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO, Early instar scorpions cannot be kept communal. Better keep them separately to get more mortality.

Shell74

Arachnopeon
I have 10 of them in a 29 gallon aquarium. They were about 3" when I put them in, I was told they were always together but who knows if that was true or not. They are all in one burrow but I have only seen 6 out at one time, no clue how many are really in there. This doesnt mean that at some point in the future they wont go after the weaker ones, but for now they are living happy. The light on the photo was just for picture purpose, this doesnt stay on them.

Phiddipus Bryan

Arachnopeon
Wow, I was thinking three at the most, that's what I read somewhere. But that's why I ask on this forum, people with experience.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Shell74, I like your set up, that's kind of what I had in mind.
Should I wait till they're a couple inches long before they all move in together?

Shell74

Arachnopeon
Very nice tank setup Shell74!
Thank you very much. It was supposed to be my sons tank but he lost interest when they were hiding all the time. I bought a black-light so I have now sparked his interest again.

I wouldn't take my word as an experienced person,lol. I have only had these guys since November. So far so good. Anytime you put them together you run the risk of them killing each other. It could happen right away, it could be in 2 years, could be never.

On another board I was told my best bet for successful cohabitation was to get a group of related early instar scorplings that have been living together already. I really don't know what instar mine are, just about 3 inches from head to tip of tail. I think you will likely get as many opinions as there are people keeping them. No 2 will be the same. Good Luck!

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had 19 in a 10 gallon tank. Some died because the temp dropped a few times way too low in my previous house. I guess I have around 10-12 left, which I will split up over this and another tank 50/50. So I would say 5-6 / 10 gallon is OK unless they get much bigger. Wouldn't keep more than 2 adults in 10 gallon though. Also, I think the height of your substrate is important, scorpions live in 3 dimensions. So if your tank has sufficient height for 20+ cm of substrate you create more space compared to 10-15cm of substrate. Personally I wouldn't go lower than 15, and with a next set up I would prefer to go with 30 cm (big and high tank, yesss!).