How many would venture to make a project of keeping and raising genus Atrax?

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Sicarius is unable to climb glass because they, along with all other genera in the family Sicariidae, lack claw tufts or tarsal scopula. That doesn't mean though that they couldn't get a grip with the tarsal claws in glass or plastic that has micro-scratches. The genus Atrax, and other genera in Hexathelidae, is more closely related to tarantulas as they are both within the infraorder Mygalomorphae and very distantly related to Sicarius in the infraorder Araneomorphae. There are very significant anatomical differences between the two infraorders.

When discussing which type of spider is more challenging to work with in captivity, one must consider not only speed, venom potency, etc,. but the ability to climb glass and smooth surfaces. From the videos of people working with Atrax robustus, it really looks like they are much easier to deal with than any tarantula would be since they can't climb smooth surfaces. Contrast to a Phoneutria species which has the metatarsal and tarsal scopula which allows them to scale smooth surfaces with ease. In my opinion Phoneutria species would be a much more challenging spider to deal with than Atrax species.

Would I keep an Atrax robustus or Hydronyche species if I could? Nope. They are not special at all except for their venom potency. If one would examine the taxonomy of the family Hexathelidae, one would see they are not really all that unique from the other non-tarantula mygalomorph families the world over. They only reason I could see anyone being infatuated with Atrax robustus is because of the venom potency and in my opinion those are not the type of people that should ever have one as a pet!
I was infatuated with A. robustus because they were just SO interesting, when I had mine I love watching it lay strands of web around the entrance of its hide and how it would burst out to attack bugs. This was a couple of years ago now, and while this is pretty much the same as a tarantula I couldn't actually afford a tarantula so a free Atrax just living under a rock slab was pretty tempting. why would anybody try and collect every Brachyphelma species when you've already got one? Same (sort of) concept, people love this stuff

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Wasn't aware there were few large species in the infraorder Araneomorphae.(eh, what I get for not looking up the classification of Sicarius.) Personally, I like Atrax for it's deep coloration, which is similar to L. mactans. Of course, I don't relish the aspect and idea of having a pet hole, either- So, from that perspective- I'd be split on the aesthetics of it.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Wasn't aware there were few large species in the infraorder Araneomorphae.(eh, what I get for not looking up the classification of Sicarius.) Personally, I like Atrax for it's deep coloration, which is similar to L. mactans. Of course, I don't relish the aspect and idea of having a pet hole, either- So, from that perspective- I'd be split on the aesthetics of it.
If you got some some rock slabs and set them against the glass with some sub the spider would likely set up shop in the crevice which would allow for easy viewing, they aren't obligate burrowers in the wild

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
If you got some some rock slabs and set them against the glass with some sub the spider would likely set up shop in the crevice which would allow for easy viewing, they aren't obligate burrowers in the wild
They most definitely will- as I've been told, if one were looking for them in the wild, you'd want to go turning rocks as your best bet.(not something I'd recommend given their reputation for aggression- it would likely end in a bite.) I've read that most often, they won't build a burrow "proper"- rather, that the terrestrial species of Atrax (as If my mind serves me correctly, there is at least one species in the genus that is arboreal.) will actually use "artificial" burrows of a sort- such as a dead hollowed out tree- or a crevice between a few rocks- But only resort to burrowing when there's little in the habitat by way of objects to nest in.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
They most definitely will- as I've been told, if one were looking for them in the wild, you'd want to go turning rocks as your best bet.(not something I'd recommend given their reputation for aggression- it would likely end in a bite.) I've read that most often, they won't build a burrow "proper"- rather, that the terrestrial species of Atrax (as If my mind serves me correctly, there is at least one species in the genus that is arboreal.) will actually use "artificial" burrows of a sort- such as a dead hollowed out tree- or a crevice between a few rocks- But only resort to burrowing when there's little in the habitat by way of objects to nest in.
Yup. When they're underneath rocks and logs and such they will still excavate soil so the hide suits their needs so they're sort of burrowing but not really

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If folks here are interested in Hexathelidae there are always those from genus Macrothele... probably the most commonly available and very interesting spiders!

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Aren't the other australian funnel web species (Hexathelidae) considerably less dangerous? I recall a researcher in a documentary who worked with Atrax talking about how they were bitten by a funnel web in the field and it luckily turned out not to be Atrax robustus so they did not require any treatment. So on that topic why not keep as less dangerous relative of these guys.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Aren't the other australian funnel web species (Hexathelidae) considerably less dangerous? I recall a researcher in a documentary who worked with Atrax talking about how they were bitten by a funnel web in the field and it luckily turned out not to be Atrax robustus so they did not require any treatment. So on that topic why not keep as less dangerous relative of these guys.
There are a few funnel web species that don't require any treatment (though I'm pretty sure the bite is like an OW T) but the effects of the majority of Australian funnel web species bites normally require a hospital visit

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
Four of the Genra within Hexathelidae are considered medically significant- (Atrax, Illawarra, Hadronyche, and Macrothele) A. robustus is the most notable species as it has the most potent venom of the group, and is also perhaps the most aggressive. - The others haven't been known in particular to have caused any fatalities- but their venom is much worse more than several times over than that of an OBT.

Last edited:

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
A. robustus and H. modesta are often confused to the untrained eye (though to the trained eye, A. robustus will have orange joints, and H. modesta has a slightly more plump abdomen) - H. modesta is harmless.