• 100 plus

Votes: 42 6.0%
  • I don't even count anymore

Votes: 33 4.7%

• Total voters

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I honestly do not know how many t's I have as the number varies depending upon how many lings I have on hand, adult males coming and going on breeding loans, etc. if I had to guess it would be around 75 to 80.
Ed

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lays Potato Chips

Apparently Ts are like Lays potato chips, its hard to stop at just one. Over half the collectors that answered the poll so far have 25 or more Ts. I wonder if the people that collect Ts have personalities that are prone to quantity collections, or if the tarantulas themselves are addicting in nature.

I had only one T for over a decade, visited this forum, and now I have three Ts. This forum does have an addicting element to it!

I admit its easier to add Ts than it is other animals. I spend less than 5 minutes a day caring for my 3 T's husbandry.

I bet some of your collections take a significant amount of time in upkeep. How much time do you spend on cleaning, feeding, watering, and general upkeep each day???

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It takes approximately 3 hours per week to take care of mine, 2 hours for the adults, half an hour for my slings, all of which is on one day, and then assorted cleaning/prey remains pickup totalling about half an hour throughout the week.

Adrian

Inuleki

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
twice a week, about 5 minutes on the adult/juv and about 10-15 min on all my slings...

not too hard considering all the time i have to spend on my accursed cats

not really, i love my kitties lots, but they're a major pain in the ___ sometimes

-Joshua

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 10 right now..hmmm...getting more in a couple of weeks..hahaha..

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Lays Potato Chips

... This forum does have an addicting element to it!
...[/B]

Indeed. Here I'm new, but I'm addicted to one Ts forum (no link - no reason, it is not in English).

Now, I'm starting my addiction with this one!

At this moment: 13 birdspiders. It is hard to stop...
I started with 3 - my girlfriend gave me permission
only for one - now she sees it is impossible to me to stop. But I am not going to have more than tets say - 20-30; no time to keep (feed) more.
Rgrds

Last edited:
S

Snakeboy

I have one (voted wrong category). It's my baby! I'm looking into getting a few more slings, and I'm going to try and breed something for the first time. All those Avic. pics just made me get the urge to breed (2 T's) really bad!
Dan

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
With 50 of them, it takes us about 3 hours a week to feed clean, etc. But feeding time is my time to handle those that I can, talk to them, etc. It's my relaxing activity! There are about 14 or 15 slings at any given time, and they take about 30 minutes. It's a labor of love!

Pajak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
With 50 of them, it takes us about 3 hours a week to feed clean, etc. But feeding time is my time to handle those that I can, talk to them, etc. It's my relaxing activity! There are about 14 or 15 slings at any given time, and they take about 30 minutes. It's a labor of love!
You talk to your spiders?? I thought that I am the only one...
I even talked to my fish (now I haven't fish). Rgrds

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes I do! And I bet you and I aren't the ONLY ones on this board who talk to their Ts!=D

My g. rosea, sitting on her eggsack, "tenses up" when I open her enclosure to check humidity. When I talk to her, she "relaxes" and lays back down on the sac.

With some of the others, if I open an enclosure to feed and don't speak, they'll jump when I toss in the cricket. But if I speak to them first, they seem to expect that I'll be tossing something in or picking them up.

I'm in no way suggesting that they "hear" me, or that they "know" me!! But, our voices each have an individual tone and rhythym and I DO think they become accustomed to that after a certain amount of time.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many do you have?

Im sort of new to the tarantula hobby (if you consider a year and a half new) and I was wondering just how extreme some of you people get with it.... So my questions is, How many Ts in YOUR collection? And if you care to elaborate, which is your favorite one?

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
At the moment I have 21 tarantulas and 2 scorpions. I also have an eggsac of A. avicularia still with mommy:)

My pressent favorite (for the moment) would have to be my Cyriocosmus elegans... he's a VERY little spider who thinks he's big enough to eat a dog! :D

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have over 64 last time I counted. My favourite sp is probably Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens I have 5 of them and i'm hopeing to breed them I've allready been offerd a few males. :D I also have 3 black emp scorpions.

Last edited:

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the other day I found an eggsac of A. avics in my social terrarium, which the mother refuses to let go of.... I never realized how popular avic eggsacs were among collectors until I had one of my own. I also have a Costa Rican Pygmy sac in a homemade incubator, but Im sure Ill find a way to mess that up.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im the same way about GBBs, I have 4 of them myself. If I like a species enough Ill often have several. currently Im keeping 108 Ts (only 49 different species). I also have 11 scorps, all different kinds, and 2 centipedes.

Scorpiove

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have limited my personal pets to 4. 3 Tarantulas and 1 Emperor Scorpion. The 3 Tarantulas are 1 Rose Hair named Hagrid, One Curly Hair named Stalin who molted yesterday, and one Usambara named Ganondorf who molted 3 days ago. The Emp scorpions name is Hitler. :p I don't have a personal favorite. I love all of them:p

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome names... Rock on with that! I named my first 50 or so pets, but ran out of ideas. :-(

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My husband and I collection comes to 34 Ts :) Plus adding a few next weekend as well. My husband has 4 scorps.