How Many Ts did you have in your first six months in the hobby?

Wiscokid

Arachnopeon
about nine months in and we have over 40 now, mostly slings though...

have been adding a handful every few weeks, gonna need their own room sooner then later

JJC

Arachnopeon
Probably 20. My son is very involved so that makes husbandry much more doable. We started out by getting a lot of different genera/species to see what most interested us. Over the past few months we've sold or traded those which weren't our "cup of tea" and gotten more specific to our likes....he likes Pokies and baboons, I'm into Avics and Grammys.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just wondering how many Ts you had in your first six months in the hobby ?
Just two. I started slowly and didn't get my second tarantula (a second Avicularia avicularia) until I'd had my first for five months.

Timc

Arachnosquire
2. I had the fever but took my time. Plus I lived at my mom's house, and I was trying to not got overboard. Until one day I said forget it and bumped it up to 5. Then I got out of the hobby for a couple of years and went to a reptile show in 2015 and jumped back in.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
At 6 months I have 16.

Now it's time to slow down.
I have a variety , aboreal, terrestrial and fossorials.
I am going to enjoy watching the slings grow.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I got seven, I did several years of researching and making sure it was something that I really wanted to get into before I took the plunge. I wanted some variety, won't be able to get any more until I move out though. But I already have a growing list but with the exception of one T, all my must haves are the ones I've gotten.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had just one, an adult female Aphonopelma chalcodes I caught in my backyard. Had her nearly a year before I got any more. Next two Ts were a G. pulchripes and an LP sling. The LP escaped through a vent hole that was just a tiny bit too large.
I met another keeper nearby and she told me about the ATS Conference and it took off from there. I brought home 8 new Ts and my first Old World, a P. miranda. She's still with me, now almost five years later.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I only had one for the first year. A big, burly G. pulchripes that molted into a MM.

I was really hesitant on getting two at once, but it was a pair of juvenile G. pulchripes so it was a fairly easy transition.

Still working up the confidence to get into those beautiful arboreals. C. cyaneopubescens is as high up the tree as I can go lol

mistertim

Arachnobaron
First 6 months I had 3. A juvie female B. smithi first so could get my basic husbandry down with a relatively easygoing NW terrestrial. Then a few months later after I was used to general tarantula behavior and maintenance I knew I was very interested in arboreals so I got a sub-adult female A. versicolor to get used to arboreal husbandry. Then a few months later I decided to try a sling and something a bit faster and more skittish to get used to that so I got a GBB. I definitely went with logical steps based on my level of experience and what I knew I wanted to eventually have.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
After being gone form the hobby, firs time pre internet (late70's- early 90's) I discovered just how easy it was to get SOOO Many different species and went to over a 100 in 6 months. Been back just over 2 years and had as high as 190 now at 122. I love to grow the slings and watch the changes they go through. Half of my collection is slings/juvies.
That's a lot , where do you put them all ?

Deb60

Arachnosquire
At 6 months I have 16.

Now it's time to slow down.
I have a variety , aboreal, terrestrial and fossorials.
I am going to enjoy watching the slings grow.
Yep it's time for me to slow down as well , think I'm going to look at the darwf species in future. Going to a reptile show in June , so will just look at those and nothing else .

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I had a hamorii and rosea for about 3 years.. Then I got a regalis and laid low for a year or two.. 10 years later I'm at cca 30. I do this slowly :p

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I had a hamorii and rosea for about 3 years.. Then I got a regalis and laid low for a year or two.. 10 years later I'm at cca 30. I do this slowly :p
I was looking at the Regalis , my daughter has one . I've decided to learn abit more about about them from her before buying so I'm holding back on them .

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I was looking at the Regalis , my daughter has one . I've decided to learn abit more about about them from her before buying so I'm holding back on them .
They are great but fast and potent tho. it is a good step to OW arboreals after you master a psalmo or two :)