How many spiders are in a T. egg sack?

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
I was curious, how many spiders are in a T. egg sack? Does it vary depending on the species? I couldn't find anything on Google.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was curious, how many spiders are in a T. egg sack? Does it vary depending on the species? I couldn't find anything on Google.
It varies wildly depending on the species. It's not unheard of for B. albopilosum sacs to be over 1000 eggs, but many arboreals only have around 100 eggs.

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for that. 1000 eggs, wow.
Lasiodora have even larger sacs. So yea, sacs can vary from 50 (or less) to as many as 3k.

Often (but not always), the largest sacs result in tiny spiderlings and species laying smaller sacs can often have larger spiderlings.

Then there are some species that will double clutch...that is, laying a second sac as a result of the same pairing.

Last edited:

KaptinKrunch

Arachnopeon
Christ. That's a lot. How many of these survive in captivity? I know in the wild most would be eaten or die.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
0-3000

Yes, I had a female drop a sac and care for it until pulled. Zero eggs in it.

cold blood

Staff member
Christ. That's a lot. How many of these survive in captivity? I know in the wild most would be eaten or die.
Yes, in the wild survival numbers can be very low...in captivity you can expect 90% or better survival...ones that are weak and wouldn't stand a chance in the wild, are just slow growing runts in the hobby that grow into normal adults eventually.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
think about it like this:
in the wild, maybe ~10% live and id assume 90% would probably die/be eaten/crushed/flooded/ETC
where as in captivity:
maybe ~90% will live and maybe 10% will die.

nt obviously thats a rough way to think about it and I'm sure my numbers are truly far from true, but give you an idea of the effect of captivity versus wild born.

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
>1000 eggs in a sac? <edit>, if I'm breeding a species and I get that many spiderlings, those damn things can eat each other until it's a manageable number.

Let them eat brethren.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
>1000 eggs in a sac? <edit>, if I'm breeding a species and I get that many spiderlings, those damn things can eat each other until it's a manageable number.

Let them eat brethren.
A much smarter thing to do would be to wholesale large lots of them to dealers.

I've heard that Nhandu sacs are also enormous

i cant waIt to find out.