How many of you used to have arachnophobia?

Where you arachnophobic?

• yes

Votes: 74 56.1%
  • no

Votes: 58 43.9%

• Total voters

Death999

Arachnopeon
just out of curiosity,

I userd to be very arachnophobic, to get over my fear I studied a lot about spiders to understand them more and get over it.

from fear, to intrest, to fascination, to obsession. and look where I am now 9 T's later and on arachnoboards everyday :D

anyone else used to be arachnophobic?

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It's funny but I've never been afraid of Ts , but little true spiders absolutely creep me out . I can't stand them . I won't kill them when I find them in my house but they definitely have to take a trip outside . :D

Mara

Arachnopeon
Never been afraid, or even wary, of spiders - or any other animal for that matter.
Phobias got to be hard to deal with though, and I respect people overcoming theirs.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I went through a different path.
From annoyance/fear of bugs --> complete obsession. I really just jumped right into this hobby.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i've always liked bugs (kept butterfiles, mantids and millis as a kid often) but definitely had the uber-girly reaction to spiders all my life even up to just maybe a year ago, add a bad experience with a rosea when i started my job to keep me from having a fondness for tarantulas, until my boyfriend threatened to buy one to scare me with.

long story short, i did a lot of research and brought one home as a pet before he could get the drop on me. i figured it was like a "better the devil you know" sort of scenario, but then i began to really enjoy feeding and watching my girl bulldoze coco coir around her enclosure :p then i got on here, and the obsession grew. sometimes this place is not healthy (for my checkbook, anyway) in a really awesome way :D

now that rosea and our 8 other Ts are all my mine, i've got some more planned on order, and i am very proud of how far i've come even if true spiders (other than jumping spiders, cute little things) still make me scream like a wimpy little girl... :eek:

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just out of curiosity,

I userd to be very arachnophobic, to get over my fear I studied a lot about spiders to understand them more and get over it.

from fear, to intrest, to fascination, to obsession. and look where I am now 9 T's later and on arachnoboards everyday :D

anyone else used to be arachnophobic?
Like you I brain wash people who are arachnophobic when I go to shows. there is this one jamaican lady who was very very scared of Ts and I made her hold one lol "the irony of arachnophobia lol"

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Who's Buggin' Who

i've always liked bugs (kept butterfiles, mantids and millis as a kid often) but definitely had the uber-girly reaction to spiders all my life.
Reaction more boyish, but, *giggle* Me too :p....untill I started handling & working w/ Tarantulas 12 years ago....
Now I can pinchgrab Widows {not recommended} and T's w/ out fear of.

Ants & Rhino beetles peaked my interest @ a young age:
[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8neGzNvpfg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8neGzNvpfg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well I don't know about arachnophobia, although I used to be proper scared of spiders.....

{D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use to be scared to death of spiders.. I could so much as look at a picture of one.. I would get the willies... I would go in the LPS to look at the snakes.. If there was a spider on the shelf behind me.. I couldnt look at the snakes thinking it might get out.. :rolleyes: Yes.. The ignorace of my ways back then... {D

After my sister found a scorpion out at her place... I started researching scorpions.. I got into them first.. I then found this place.. Had to have more diff sp. of scorpions...

I then wondered into the Tarantula area......... Then it was on...

Almost a year later... Countless hours spent here on AB.. Numbers of threads that have been read... I am now at 200+ critters.... More on the way.. :D

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was never scared of spiders. Even as a kid I would catch and bring them home. It wasn't until after I brought my first tarantula home that I realize the size of them was a little intimidating, and it made me a little nervous at first, but I got over that right quick. :D now I have 16 Ts (well, 27, but 11 of those are going else where) and I've got quite a bit more coming to me with in the next month. :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Reaction more boyish, but, *giggle* Me too :p....untill I started handling & working w/ Tarantulas 12 years ago....
Now I can pinchgrab Widows {not recommended} and T's w/ out fear of.
you know, i do blame that silly movie for part of my fear... but i think with any other irrational fear i have seen, part of it is society and fear generalization. most snakes, inverts, and rodents are victims of misconceptions because of a couple valid points (wild rodents can be hosts of diseases, some snakes are deadly posionous, sustaining a widow bite can be very painful, etc) and the fact they don't fit in the traditional "cute and cuddly pet" box most others subscribe to.

so i blame society for my fear more, actually.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LOL @ Julian Sands pictured above, he was so much better in Warlock.....

Helix

Arachnopeon
It's funny but I've never been afraid of Ts , but little true spiders absolutely creep me out . I can't stand them . I won't kill them when I find them in my house but they definitely have to take a trip outside . :D
Its absolutely same thing with me :)

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
never scared me in the least bit, i was the "weirdo" in my family (lol). when ever my parents came across a spider inside they'd call me to "get rid of it", untill they found out i had 90+ true spiders in my room in containers...(and i was 7)they made me let them all go :(, but 8 years later and my parents let me get my first tarantula ! so there coming around you could say :D

andrew_w_hill

Arachnopeon
I was never afraid of spiders. I always actually had a fascination with all animals, particularly the ones many other people didn't like. As a kid I read numerous books on sharks, crocodilians, spiders, insects, snakes, lizards, and others.

Getting my first T. satisfied a strong desire (dare I use the word "fantasy" for it being misconstrued and I appear even more bizarre than I actually am) that I have had for over 20 years.

To this day, I am intrigued by people who cannot even look at a picture of spiders. I just don't get it. :confused:

Robineng

Arachnopeon
I actually used to have a severe phobia of anything with a exo-skeleton... But since I've always loved reptiles, I decided to try and get over it as I wanted to get a gecko... Eventually I ended up with a lot of spiders too, which is probably my favorite animals now.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have always loved and bred snakes, and loved all animals. But true spiders I couldn't stand to look at. I bought my first tarantula in an attempt to get over my arachnophobia, and wouldn't you know it. I know how nineteen with my twentieth on the way! :D

death stinger

Arachnopeon
i do not have a fear of arachnids or bugs anymore i am handling scorpions and tarantulas for 3 years now so i think i should be more comfortable now