How many of you give water to your GBB?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I was scanning through the boards and I saw a post that said some people don't give their GBB's a water dish that they just let them get it from their prey. Well I know this board is VERY knowledgeable and I wanted to get as many opinions as possible. Personally I have a water dish in my tank but in 6 months i've seen her use it once so i'm thinking of taking it out based on what I hear from this post. Is it better to have the water if she needs it or will the fluids from her prey be substantual? Also just for quality of life for my T. how much do you guys feed your t's and how often? Keep in mind that mine is 5 1/2. Thanks, Trey

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I used to be really diligent about keeping her bottlecap full of water (mine's like 3"+ now, I think, maybe 4", but it's a big cap off a huge Gatorade container), but between all the accounts of people who raise GBBs their whole lives without a water dish and the fact that my girl always gets strands of web in it (which drain all the water in less than an hour)...I don't really bother anymore.

A couple times a week I'll add water "just in case" but all that ever happens is that she tries to attack it and then runs when she gets her feet wet. {D I do make sure it's full when I throw in crickets, they always like to take very long drinks and anything they drink goes right into her belly.

I feed mine 3 crickets a week. I'd give her 2/week, but she seems like she has a faster metabolism than my rosea, who gets 2. However, I don't feed her every week, because I'm a poor college student with no car who has to catch rides to the store. So it might be six crickets every two weeks, or nine every three. I do the same for my rosie's 2/week diet. My slings are easy, though, because I can just keep a tupperware of dead cricks in the freezer, so they get more regular meals.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I give all my T's water, regardless of their size or the species, I just feel better knowing that it's there for them if they do need the hydration.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I give all my T's water, regardless of their size or the species, I just feel better knowing that it's there for them if they do need the hydration.
I totally agree. All of my tarantulas have a water source just in case.

Never_2_Old

Arachnopeon
I have a GBB that I received three years ago as a 1" sling. I keep her substrate bone dry and fill a 2 1/2" diameter 3/8" deep water dish once a week through all four seasons. This way she can drink any time day or night if she wants to. She appears healthy is hungry and active.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use a water dish with all my GBB's that are larger than 2". I have 2 adult females, 1 juvie female, 3 juvie males, and 1 2nd instar at this time. I would rather have a small water dish there just in case. It doesn't add much humidity to their environment, but it's there if they need it.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i use a water dish for all my t's
for the GBB i fill it and let it go completly dry before filling it again

i usually set two days a week for feeding
for me wednesdays and saturdays work the best, all my T's get one per feeding day (unless they are in premolt)
when they are finished molting and are ready to eat again, i give them an extra couple a week for a few weeks

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I give mine a bottlecap to drink from, shes about 2.75". I have seen her use it, so thats a good thing.
I feed her 2 or 3 crickets every two weeks or less...

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's kinda what I was thinking. I like to have the water just in case but usually it goes bone dry very quickly. I never thought of getting the crickets hydrated before feeding but it sounds like a very good idea.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I give my adult GBBs water about once a month just as I do my desert scorps. After about 3-4 days I remove so the spider wont web it up and believe me they will certainly do that.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I don't have water dishes in with any of my T's. Most have plants in their cage that get watered regularly. The GBB, and some other desert sp., don't have plants, but get a mist on the side of the tank every now, and then.

If I left for any extended period of time I would throw a water dish in each cage.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All of my T's have water dishes that get filled every few days. I feel better knowing its there and they may not need it, but the moment they need one and don't have it, well...

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My GBB has one but she decided she didn't like it and covered it with webbing. :D

I mist a part of her web every once in awhile. *A part not next to her* I doubt she drinks from it though...must get all her moisture from her food.

My G. Aueostriata on the other hand...she practically lives in her water dish. {D

~Fred