How many generations?

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
There are tons of isopods in the yard. If I keep some in a terrarium with clean substrate, how many generations should I raise before they are clear of pesticides and safe to introduce into my tarantula enclosures?

Isopods aren't expensive, should i just save the time and work and just buy some instead?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There are tons of isopods in the yard. If I keep some in a terrarium with clean substrate, how many generations should I raise before they are clear of pesticides and safe to introduce into my tarantula enclosures?

Isopods aren't expensive, should i just save the time and work and just buy some instead?
If you've got them in the yard, I'd absolutely just collect them and let them breed. As for how many generations, no idea. I think that I'd leave them be for about 4-6 months. At that point, they should all have molted and started some new generations.

Heads up though, with tarantulas, I've found that springtails are a much better cleanup crew. More prolific breeders, much hardier in regards to humidity, and much smaller. The only tanks that I can keep isopods alive in are the T. stirmi and H. gigas enclosures. Springtails can be kept in just about anything other than arid species.