How many B. smithi's

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 4 B. smithi's.
2 males and two females.
I paid $89.00 for the first one, $50.00 for the second, and both were male. The third, I payed $60.00 and knew it was female. The forth is molting as I type. BTW, its the first time I saw a T roll onto its back.

How many of you guys have em ?
Whats the demand.
Maybe this can shed some light on why they cost so much.:?

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
I've got one, a female, and I paid $50 for her (unsexed) at a reptile show. She's molted once and is maybe the length of my pinky. I adore her. She's a voracious eater and has taken to housekeeping in her pen. She's a regular backhoe.

Other than the fact it's a gorgeous spider, I guess I have an affection for her because of all the cheesy spider movies I saw as a kid in the 70s where the smithi was a commonly used spider. I watched that Kingdom of the Spiders movie with William Shatner and cringed everytime they'd drop a spider. I guess I had a different reaction than the filmmakers intended.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have one. I traded an H. aureopilosum sling, a B. angustum sling, and a B. vagans for it.

Some people might say that I got the short end of the stick, but I didn't want the B. angustum. The H. aureopilosum s'ling was a male that spent all of its time underground. And with B. vagans as inexpensive as they are, it was a good deal for me

The smithi is about 2 inches and is getting ready to molt.

Jon

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have 12 of them, at least 4 of them are males about 1 or 2 molts away from being mature. the others are 3" and up to 5 or 6" or so. I don't even want to think about what I paid for them....
BTW, the first t I ever got was an adult b. smithi back around 1982 and the cost was 9.99.

:D
Ed

Last edited:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One female redknee

I have one female that is now between 3.5" and 3.75". She is drop dead gorgeous, she is one of my favorite T's. She doesn't try to hide, ever. She is active, and a great eater. If I could have only one T in my collection in would be hard to choose between my B. smithi , G. pulchra , and my G. rosea .

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well,
My little one layed there real still for two hours, then started moving and within 10 mins. was completely out of her old skin. I was able to watch her abdomen split . Its the first time I've seen that.
I'll never get enough of watching T's molt.:D :D

Ernie

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have 2 of them. Both are about 4.5 inches. We got one in a trade out and I think the other cost us 80.00 when It was about 2.5 inches from a local pet store. But they sure are beautiful, Pam

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to raise B.smithis back in Calif years ago.....never had less than a dozen.......then got out of the hobby for a few years.

Now am in TX since 2000 & got back into the hobby.......now have only 2 smithis........an adult female that I got on a trip to Calif 1-12-2003 & brought back with me & also have a juvie female that I got 3-8-2003 from e-spiderworld at a Reptile Show. I just love the smithis.:D

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
I have 4 B. smithi's.
2 males and two females.
I paid $89.00 for the first one, $50.00 for the second, and both were male. The third, I payed $60.00 and knew it was female. The forth is molting as I type. BTW, its the first time I saw a T roll onto its back.

How many of you guys have em ?
Whats the demand.
Maybe this can shed some light on why they cost so much.:?
I have 4 of them right now:

Two mature females and two "unknowns"

The first one I bought as about a 3/4 inch sling. I remember seeing this little brown thing and wondering how it was going to grow up and be this multicolored striped critter? was beginning to wonder how I could possibly be sure that I was really getting what I paid for. That was about 2.5 years ago. Alpha is now right about 2.5 to 3 inches now and in full color. We suspect it is
a male, but it's still too early to tell.

The fourth critter is my very own Siete, who I immediately named as soon as he/she arrived. When I went to take it out of the shipping container, one leg was left behind and since he only had 7 legs and was a Mexican species, naturally, I named him/her with the Spanish word meaning "seven" :)

Here's his pix. If you look carefully, you can see the partially regenerated leg from his first molt after I got him. He's molted a couple times since then and has 8 normal-looking legs. (The "knee" on that other leg isn't quite as red as the other 7, but one more molt should fix that). :)

http://www.linuxservers.2y.net/wysiwyg/siete_small.jpg

Hopefully, I'll have a 5th one coming soon. I purchased it awhile back and then lost touch with the seller. If all works well, she'll be coming home soon.

Wysi

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
1 suposedly female at 3.5''

She is the stereotypical "pet rock." SHe hardly moves at all. People always ask if she's alive LoL

Question, though, while we're on the subject. Mine hasn't eaten in a couple months now; I know this isn't uncommon, but how long should I expect this to last? I doubt she's going to moult, as she isn't bald at all. If I put a cricket (eeewww) in with her she'll either ignore it, or kill it and leave it to rot. :confused:

My apologies for hijacking this thread.

N.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have one, I sexed it on its last molt and I think it's a male. He is now about 3"+.

I wonder too why they are so pricey, maybe they are just hard to breed. There is another thread going on this subject too.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I have 14 of them, plus one mature male on breeder loan.

I paid $150 for one adult female way back when, but the rest I got much cheaper than that. A local dealer got me 5 2nd instar slings a few years ago @ $7, and another I got as a gift :)

Joy

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
I have 8 B. smithis.
The biggest one is about 4" immature male, in premolt. I ordered him two years ago at 2" size for about 40 euros.
Then I have 3 unsexed smithis at about 1 ½" which I bought two years ago as spiderlings for about 10 euros apiece.
The rest 4 are ½" spiderlings which I bought last year for 4,50 euros apiece.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've got 2... One is a 4½" subadult male the other is still tiny, barely over ½" Will be adding an adult female in the near future...

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So far, we have 53 Smithi's between the 13 people that have replied.

E

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
While we're still talking demand, I don't own any B. smithi, but they are one of the prospective species I plan to get very soon. If that doesn't help give any insight to the demand for B. smithi, well, I'm still getting one anyways. :D

Bry

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
So far, we have 53 Smithi's between the 13 people that have replied.

E
That in it's self is a great amount of demand when you find numbers like that :D

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
I have 2 slings that I bought in February for $20ea @ 1/4." I plan on buying another sling or 2 in the 3" range. I plan on making this genus my first breeding endeavor.

Dario

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have one that's molted twice since I got it at 3 inches, and is about 4 now. I had thought it female, but it proved me wrong with it's last molt. I paid 35$ from it from one of the dealers on this website.

Bill