How many arachnids did you have when you first joined the hobby?

nirvannah

Arachnopeon
Hello my fellow arachnid hobbyists. I just recently joined the hobby back in september (2018). What was your first arachnids? Which ones are your favorites? I love seeing and hearing about everyones little critters. My current collection consists of 2 Avicularia avicularia, a davus pentaloris, Aphonopelma seemani, Cyriopagopus hainanus, aphonopelma chalcodes, dysdera crocata, heterometrus spinifer, and a hadogenes troglodytes.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Started off with one, a Chromatopelma cyanepubescens.

Favourites are Lapropelma violaceopes and Brachypelma albopilosum.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I got a B. hamorii sling about 5 years ago. I have had it for five years (still only three inches) before I decided to get some more slings a few months back.

Mixed Dinner

Arachnopeon
I started off with a MM Grammostola rosea back when I was a kid. Kept collecting until I was about 16 but then I gave the four I had away as I was getting out of the hobby.

Got back into it 2 years later of course! Started off with a C. cyaneopubescens, L. parahybana, A. sp colombia and H. sp colombia.
Favourite I had though is probably my G. pulchra or the P. murinus I had

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I started with 5 T.'s. Originally I planned on getting just getting a G. pulchripes, but I decided why not buy a B. albopilosum and B. vagans as well. So in the end I bought 5 tiny .5'' slings: 3 G. pulchripes (1.2), a B. albopilosum (female), and a B. vagans (female). Which ironically; of the 5 I started with, the B. vagans is my favorite.

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
I started off with 8 slings, by the following day I only had 4 (newbie mistake - made the ventalation holes too big). :sorry:

I currently own a little over 30 Ts. I don't have one that I love the most, but I can tell you arboreal Ts have a special place in my heart. Something about the Ts themselves, the enclosure setup, etc. is pure amazement.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Started off with a Brachypelma albopilosum (Honduras) about 2 and a half years ago.

Favourites? Too many to pick one but A. geniculata, G. iheringi and P. irminia are all up there

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Started with three Honduran B. albopilosum in september of 2014, two died due to bad molts, one is now a big female, now i'm well over 30 tarantulas.

My favorites:

H. chilensis
B. schroederi
P. atrichromatus
P. cancerides
B. albopilosum
H. dictator
O. sp. 'Cebu'
A. geniculata
E. campestratus
A. hentzi

My favorites in that order. My two G. grossa and my I. mira are beginning to change my mind.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hello my fellow arachnid hobbyists. I just recently joined the hobby back in september (2018). What was your first arachnids?
I had a few Kukulcania hibernalis (southern house spiders) when I received a mature female Avicularia avicularia as a gift.

I currently have 15 tarantulas:
  • female Avicularia avicularia (4"): 11/28/2013 (died on 3/15/2017)
  • female Avicularia avicularia (3"): 4/29/2014
  • female Grammostola pulchra (0.5"): 9/5/2015
  • female Grammostola pulchra (2"): 9/26/2015
  • male Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (0.75"): 9/25/2016 (died on 11/19/2018)
  • male Dolichothele diamantinensis (2"): 1/4/2017 (sent to breeder on 2/14/2018)
  • male Acanthoscurria geniculata (0.5"): 1/4/2017
  • female Psalmopoeus cambridgei (2.25"): 5/3/2017
  • female Ceratogyrus marshalli (4"): 10/7/2017
  • female Neoholothele incei (0.5"): 10/7/2017
  • female Davus pentaloris (1.5"): 2/4/2018
  • male Bumba cabocla (0.75"): 2/4/2018
  • Phormictopus sp. "south Hispaniola" (0.75"): 6/23/2018
  • Psalmopoeus irminia (0.75"): 6/23/2018
  • Augacephalus ezendami (0.5"): 6/29/2018
  • Avicularia avicularia (0.75"): 6/29/2018
  • Avicularia avicularia (0.75"): 6/29/2018
  • female Brachypelma emilia (4.5"): 12/15/2018

Which ones are your favorites?
I love all of my tarantulas, but the ones that amuse me the most are Bulldozer (Grammostola pulchra), Squirt (Psalmopoeus cambridgei), and Genicula (Acanthoscurria geniculata).

aphono

Arachnobaron
Had a wild caught MM Aphonopelma sp as a kid.

March 2017, entered the hobby with AF A. chalcodes, slings of C. cyaneopubescens, A. eutylenum, G. pulchripes. A couple weeks later, got another G. pulchripes and a C. versicolor(direct result of reading about their care on here. Was scared off this species due to alleged caresheets elsewhere..).

My top favorite is the first G. pulchripes. She's(unknown gender but am determined for it to be female so I could have her for years) simply a wonderful and fun spider.

Others I particularly enjoyed- P. cambridgei and H. pulchripes. Those matured out to MM though, sigh.... Got two tiny H. pulchripes last month just to continue enjoying this species. I may contact the buyer of the MM cambridgei and see if the pairing was successful. Might get a few if dude did the deed.

Aklaff

Arachnopeon
Hello my fellow arachnid hobbyists. I just recently joined the hobby back in september (2018). What was your first arachnids? Which ones are your favorites? I love seeing and hearing about everyones little critters. My current collection consists of 2 Avicularia avicularia, a davus pentaloris, Aphonopelma seemani, Cyriopagopus hainanus, aphonopelma chalcodes, dysdera crocata, heterometrus spinifer, and a hadogenes troglodytes.
One. My mom (for some reason) bought me a matured a. Avic when I was around 10. I was instantly interested in tarantulas. Now I have a goliath and a chaco gold knee.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
I started with a C. cyanepubescens. People had said they were bolty so not that good for beginners but I wasn't planning on handling so that meant nothing to me. Out of all the ones I have, my A. seemanni gave me the most trouble.

Now I have:
A. seemanni
C. cyanepubescens
G. pulchripes
Suspected G. iheringi
B. hamorri
Hapalopus sp Colombia small
A. hentzi

I'm in the works to get an
E. rufescens
E. murines

and after that I plan on getting an
H. incei
C. elegans

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got an adult female G. rosea for my 12th birthday and quickly added to the collection from there... my second T was a P. murinus sling, and then I got a bunch of slings at an expo - C. versi, N. incei, Theraphosa sp (at the time they were calling it a burgundy), and probably more. I built my collection up to a few hundred and was starting to get into breeding when I tragically lost them all to a freak winter storm that stranded us at home without power ):

I started getting back into the hobby a few years back. I went slowly at first, but then my live in partner got over their arachnophobia and discovered a love for Ts....with the two of us in it, our collection has grown quickly to around 100 Ts. We have several mature males that went out on breeding loans, and multiple pairs/paired females at home.

My favourites are my adult female Pterinochilus, my adult female P. metallica (I dislike blue spiders, but she has so much personality!), and my little B. albo sling because of the circumstances in which s/he came to me and the wonderful memories associated.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Started with a Grammostola pulchra, then got Heterometrus petersii, Hadrurus arizonensis 'pallid', and a lasiodora parahybana freebie.
After that Avicularia metallica, Poecilotheria vittata, and Poecilotheria regalis, all adult females.
From there I got many more and am now a proud Invert Hoarder :smug:

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Cyriopagopus hainanus? Whoa, I just googled them. You jumped right into the deep end! I don't dare touch OW and I got into the hobby back in November!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Cyriopagopus hainanus
Cyriopagopus hainanus? Whoa, I just googled them. You jumped right into the deep end! I don't dare touch OW and I got into the hobby back in November!
Yeah, I have 4 of them. Like most OWs their defensiveness is overrated - WHEN they're housed properly with enough substrate to burrow into. Their bite is no joke however. Read this bite report under the old name Haplopelma hainanum, this guy just got grazed.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/haplopelma-hainanum.262988/

I'm VERY careful with mine.

RepublicofTexas81

Arachnopeon
I'm starting with an Aphonopelma hentzi. It should ship sometime after the first of the year, and I can't wait to get the lil guy/gal.