1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

How long will slings be able to survive through the mail?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Vulksgren, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Bought one and the person in question accidentally sent it to the wrong address (thankfully very close), but having tons of issues since I am in the Seattle area and most packages are in lockers. Scrambling to get it the best I can, but that poor sling has been in there for almost a week. Extremely frustrating, hope the poor thing is alright. Will it be ok? Can they last long without water?

2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

This is a question that will vary based on many factors. Such as the packaging, handling, delivery, and temps. I cannot say that it will be okay or it won't make it, but the longer the wait the worse it becomes. Also why would you wait a week? The normal days for packages are 1-3 days for shipping T.'s so something is very off here.

3. moricollins

moricollins Arachnoking Old Timer

It depends on the weather and how well they're packed up.
    A week in transit is survivable if the weather is ok and they're packed well

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. It shipped off Monday and got here around Weds or Thursday. I've been bugging my apartment manager to get the man they sent it to. Since he is military he was busy for the rest of the week and only got home during the evenings. They kept telling me that they legally couldn't get it out since it isn't there box, and usps hasn't been much help either (they told me they might have it in their office Monday but I don't think so).
    Also, the guy gave me the key but I stupidly opened the wrong box (you can't pull the key back out) because the apartment manager pointed me to the wrong box. It's been VERY annoying, nearly yelled at her.

I figure it is since I bought it from someone that was recommended to me multiple times here, so it should be. I feel so guilty for the little guy it hurts.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2019
  5. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

That's some tough luck... So are you going to get the package today, tomorrow, or when?

6. Monday, and that is assuming the post office kept there word on getting the package (and knowing how incompetent government ran places are, not very confident). So praying they did. If I could I'd just bust the locks and get it, but that isn't very legal. Hasn't been very hot since it got here and last couple of days it's been mostly cloudy with some moisture, hoping that increases the odds of it being alive.

7. Kedan

Kedan Arachnopeon

Uk
    I’ve just received 7 T’s yesterday that were in shipping for 6 days all totally fine. So hopefully yours will be fine.
    What T did you order?

8. Good to hear! Got a Caribena Versicolor.

9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I've heard of longer and all survived.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Update for anyone who cares or stumbles this thread, was able to get it today and the person who packaged it did an excellent job. Little guy is alive and in his new enclosure. (sadly not in it in this photo, but as soon as I put him in he immediately went to the water and started drinking, been there for the rest of the day for the most part). So happy!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Kedan

Kedan Arachnopeon

Uk
    Great news!!!

12. cool. great to hear it ended well. yeah Ts can go awhile on the bare minimum but slings are often not forgiving to errors, specifically temps. but im from the same area and they haven't been that bad.
    have fun.

13. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoking Old Timer

If it is not to warm, nor to cold, the sling is perfectly packed and has moist packing that it can suck moisture from i say it can survive some weeks, but this is not often the case. Some 1-2 weeks? I have no idea actually, just assuming

14. Kitara

Kitara Arachnobaron Active Member

US
    Great update! Congrats on your new fuzzy family member. I was so worried about mine because of the really high temps here lately, but it too arrived safely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. My sling order is currently stranded via downed FedEx plane in Memphis. Temps in Tennessee aren’t terribly concerning but when it arrives in Utah... it’s cold. Tomorrow should be in the low 40’s high 30’s. We shall see.

16. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

I had one delayed for a week that was shipped via fedex 2day which is why I try to make sure all the ones I order now is fedex overnight. It was shipped Wed for Fri delivary and unfortunately did not arrive until next Mon. Now I try to make sure all that I order and the T's I ship out are done between Monday and Wednesday. I know it is cheaper for folks to use usps but it's a big nono. Maybe one day sellers will stop using it, but it is what it is. Seems like any service out there these days no matter the company has definitely gone down hill. Good to hear atleast you got a positive outcome.

17. If they packed it with a heatpack and have some insulation inside (I know FearNotTrantulas and Jamie's both do this), the heat will last quite a bit of time. Had three A. Hentzi slings shipped in cold temps from Jamie's and after the 3rd or 4th day I recieved it, they where all fine.

Yeah, little guy isn't so little. Already much bigger then when I first received him or her (My profile pic was like a week after I got em, has grown around the two inches mark. Almost takes up half the enclosure horizontally which I posted months back in this thread)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I got my package this morning and just finished unpacking. Both survived with no issues. You are right, the heat pack was still warm and both vials still had moisture so no worries! Tanya from Fear Not has been awesome to order from all three of my T’s have been ordered from them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. jrh3

jrh3 ArachnoTitan Arachnosupporter

One thing to add, it also has a lot to do with letting the heat pack activate properly. They are designed to work off of oxygen so they burn out quick when packed inside of an air tight insulated box if not allowed to heat up first. I always activate mine and then let sit for 30 min before packaging.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.