How long will he live?

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
C9F69A2F-55DE-432D-95A5-38C5DA501A78.jpeg 489956C9-6A30-45D0-975A-E4C9B186B9F2.jpeg

So last night, my little man hooked out. T. vagans, my first T, had him since he was 1/5” took him 3 years, 1 month, and 28 days since hatching. Kinda emotional for me since he was the main reason I’ve become so fascinated by spiders and why I started this incredible journey with spiders of all shapes and sizes. I’ve heard Brachypelma and Tliltocatl go about a year or 2 after their final molt, I’ve also heard they have a chance to have a molt after their ultimate one where they often lose their pedipalps. What are the chances of this? Pictures of him when I got him just for nostalgia. Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
The post ultimate molt is rare, I've heard of fewer than 5 cases. In most of those, the molt is unsuccessful and the spider dies anyway, unfortunately. Best of luck with your beautiful boy!

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Lifespan of mature males is usually very variable between individuals. Some may live a few months and others may live for a year or two. Honestly, the best thing you can do is provide a full water dish at all times and try to feed him whenever he will eat to ensure he doesn't exhaust himself to death. I have had some mature males that lived longer than the suggested time frame and others that just passed away within a shorter time frame of a few months.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I have a Tiltocatl schroederi MM well over 12 months old, same with a T vagans and also Theraphosa stirmi. Also previously had a MM porteri over 2 years. Unfortunately he also tried to moult after his MM but died having got stuck.
Tiltocatl, Brachypelma and Grammostola are slow growers and this tends to affect how long MMs live in my experience too.
Also a factor is whether your boy eats. Some do some don't. The ones that still take food tend to live longer which is to be expected.
I hope you still get many happy days with your fella.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Had a Tiltocatl, Grammostola, and a Aphonopelma all hook out male on me and none of them lived more than a year.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
year tops, 6 months pretty common. My MM A steindachneri hooked out in May and died in September

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anything is possible- no one predict nature on life span