How long until leaves are safe?

Sterls

Arachnobaron
I recently moved to a new home, and have a large hardwood tree in my backyard that dumps a heap of leaves. As I don't know the pesticide/etc history used on this property, is there a certain timeframe after which they'd be safe to use one year? Would they be safe to use next year, after I know nothing has been used on the property for over a year? How much concern would it be if my neighbors spray? Would baking break down any residual 'cides that may blow over property lines? I know buying safe leaves online is still safer, but I'm curious if I'm being appropriately cautious or overly paranoid. I would obviously bake anyway them to take care of hitchhikers.

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Pesticide breakdown depends on the one used. Some break down to nothing in a few weeks. Others persist for years. Given the American tendency to spray everything as often as possible with the strongest thing possible, it's unlikely that you can trust things from your garden. It's less of an issue in countries without a spraying culture.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, even fairly strong pesticides break down with moisture, and with the regulations that pest companies are subject to (probably stricter here in CA than in CO though) I don't think the pesticides would persist for more than a year if there are at least a few big rain/snowstorms.

The best way you can tell is go out every so often and see what's living under the leaves. If there's lot of microfauna (as in diversity, not overall numbers), you can reasonably assume its safe for your purposes.

How big is the property? As in, how far away are the leaves from your neighbor's yards?

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Well, even fairly strong pesticides break down with moisture, and with the regulations that pest companies are subject to (probably stricter here in CA than in CO though) I don't think the pesticides would persist for more than a year if there are at least a few big rain/snowstorms.

The best way you can tell is go out every so often and see what's living under the leaves. If there's lot of microfauna (as in diversity, not overall numbers), you can reasonably assume its safe for your purposes.

How big is the property? As in, how far away are the leaves from your neighbor's yards?

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Not sure on my exact lot size - maybe .2 acres or something? Not big, it's a normal suburb built in the 60s. I have a culture of isopods I started from my yard, but I haven't seen much else besides some native centipedes and woodlouse spiders. Planning on trying to culture more if I can once it gets rainier, so maybe I'll notice more biodiversity then.

I've got leaves in the front/back, but the more I think about it the less I even want to risk it - just had the thought that maybe I was being paranoid, but I think it's reasonable. I had a pest dude knock on my door within a week of moving in so I think the neighborhood overall sprays. We're built on an old landfill so people get shmoozed into pest control.