how long to burrow??

jb92

Arachnopeon
hi ive had my haplopelma lividium for 2 days now and just wondering how long it takes them to begin burrowing as iv started a small hole for her but shes just sitting in it and hasnt started a burrow off at all.
many thanks
jb

fenhawk1

Arachnosquire
I'm not an experienced keeper, but I do not think your T would suffocate, it knows what it's doing.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
She probably just needs some time to settle in before making this new place "her very own". My H lividum immediately ran to the burrow I made her and about a week later started digging it out more. Just give her some privacy and she'll be fine.

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i got one 2 days ago, :D she hasn't burrowed yet, but she went to the hide i had and has done some webbing in their...jus give her a while to settle in and she'll come to life [you'll see what i mean {D ]

webbedone

Arachnobaron
from rehousing slings into new enclosures i noticed that it takes a sling roughly 3-7 day to get fully comfortable and start excavating, it all depends on how warm how humid and how private the enclosure is, but rest assured that eventully it will burrow if it wants to!

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It takes any tarantula some time to adjust and get used to a new enclosure. That time can be as short as a few days up to months. You can never really tell. Just give it time, and i'm sure you're tarantula will settle in soon and begin to dig.

Shimotsukin

Arachnopeon
Whenever I rehouse my Haplopelma longipes, she usually sits in the starter burrow I make for her for 1-2 weeks before she begins burrowing.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My advice would be to have some deep substrate built around a tube in the corner of the tank, right down to the bottom. That will encourage it to further develop the burrow at a point you can see the T.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As adults, it can take months for them to decide to burrow in a new tank.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like lopez said, it can take them ages to decide to burrow if at all. i have a B. smithi who has gone for two months without burrowing. one molt cycle for me and it still hasn't burrowed. they will typically do it when they are ready, if they want to.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Like lopez said, it can take them ages to decide to burrow if at all. i have a B. smithi who has gone for two months without burrowing. one molt cycle for me and it still hasn't burrowed. they will typically do it when they are ready, if they want to.
B.smithi's aren't really big on burrowing anyway....

jb92

Arachnopeon
ok thanks for all the replys been really helpfull :) if my male makes a sperm web will it still be ok to introduce him even if she hasnt burrowed?
jb

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that before you get into breeding you should research more and touch up on your tarantula knowledge. I may be wrong but it just seems like you're fairly new to the hobby.

Dimitrov

Arachnopeon
the b.boehmei that I own for just 2 months now took exactly one week to settle into its new encoluse and totally redecorated the whole thing !! it's quite amusing - every day it looks different :)

jb92

Arachnopeon
iv been keeping tarantulas for about 3 and a half years just never bred them so fancy having a go now, just making sure on everything before i go into it :)
jb

jb92

Arachnopeon
well she fed today so hopefully shes settling in slowly :) male still hasnt fed but only been a few days :)
jb

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
iv been keeping tarantulas for about 3 and a half years just never bred them so fancy having a go now, just making sure on everything before i go into it :)
jb
I'd suggest reading over the breeding report forums.