how long till a burrow needs renovation?

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an adult female C. brachycephalus that has been living in the same tank for 3 1/2 years now. The enclosure is about 11"x 8" and is 13" deep with 10" of substrate. She has built a large burrow over the years, with a back door and a front door, and in the spring she drags bits of shed, old silk and boluses out of the burrow and throws them on the surface for me to clean up. I'm starting to wonder if there comes a point when I should dump the substrate, clean the whole tank out, and let her start over fresh. Is that ever a good idea? And when?
The spider herself has been spending a bit more time on the surface lately, but I don't know if that's because she's comfortable with the environment, or if her burrow is grossing her out, or if she's looking for males or ? She's a chubby adult and isn't often hungry, so she's not looking for food.

Thanks for any input!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a C bechuanicus thats in the same situation and I dont plan on doing anything very soon. Ts are extemely clean animals and there is no need to do anything IMO

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My C. brachy is the same way, she leaves wadded-up balls of webbing and cricket parts in the corner for me every now and again. Same corner, too.