How Long is too long?

Taysha

Arachnosquire
Hey guys I have a small maybe 1 in sling Lampropelma violaceopes who I haven't seen in like a month. He's got an extensive burrow system, I mist his substrate, and have dropped like 3 baby dubia in there but haven't actually seen my sling in a month. Should I be concerned?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
No, no need for concern. Just make sure you don't leave any live feeders in the enclosure in case it moults. And I'd add a water dish if you don't have one already in there and instead of misting (because it does nothing for the moisture in the sub) just pour some water directly into the substrate, preferably the corners of the enclosure. That way it'll reach the deeper parts of the substrate as well.

@Tomoran has a great slings care guide where he explains this in length. :)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Hey guys I have a small maybe 1 in sling Lampropelma violaceopes who I haven't seen in like a month. He's got an extensive burrow system, I mist his substrate, and have dropped like 3 baby dubia in there but haven't actually seen my sling in a month. Should I be concerned?
It is actually Omothymus violaceopes now. I wouldn’t be worried, mine has done the same thing. I haven’t seem it since the day I got it a few weeks ago. Mine has 2 tunnels that Im guessing are connected. As long as the food goes missing you should be fine. If not I could be in premolt.

Taysha

Arachnosquire
It is actually Omothymus violaceopes now. I wouldn’t be worried, mine has done the same thing. I haven’t seem it since the day I got it a few weeks ago. Mine has 2 tunnels that Im guessing are connected. As long as the food goes missing you should be fine. If not I could be in premolt.
Mine has the exact same two entry set up, and the food disappears I just always worry they disappear because they are burrowing lol. I'll leave her be but jeez, when my pet holes are this tiny i worry more. I never see some of my big ones and don't worry ever, some of these babies stress me out though.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Mine has the exact same two entry set up, and the food disappears I just always worry they disappear because they are burrowing lol. I'll leave her be but jeez, when my pet holes are this tiny i worry more. I never see some of my big ones and don't worry ever, some of these babies stress me out though.
Agreed, Its hard to do a role call when they won’t come out of their hole, :D.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I check my Ts daily, twice. Not checking for such an extended period--can yield a dead T.

laservet

Arachnopeon
My little 3/4” B boehmei walled itself into its burrow and stayed there for 7 months before molting and coming out to eat. Oddly enough it molted again in about 5 weeks, didn’t even skip a meal, molted the day after eating.

cold blood

Staff member
Mine has the exact same two entry set up, and the food disappears I just always worry they disappear because they are burrowing
ALWAYS crush the heads of dubia (or any burrowing feeder)...this prevents them from burrowing away and becoming a problem.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
I'd be worried more about the dubias. They tend to bury very fast, and can grow inside the substrate faster than the Ts, becoming and hazard, because they can devourish a small sling without any problem.

In my last vivarium I found two adult dubias buried in the substrate. They were offered being small sized dubias...

I would check the enclosure to look if the T is fine and to remove dubias.

I prefer runners for small sized Ts, they cant climb and do not tend to bury.