How long is too long? GBB premolt

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Hi everyone! This is kind of a follow up to my last post about my GBB sling. I sent a photo of it to you guys and the general consensus was it was definitely in premolt and should molt any day. Well, it was showing signs of premolt at least 5 or six weeks ago and has the same shiny dark spot in the middle of it's abdomen. It still has not molted. My question is how long is too long before I should worry. I ask because I worry about it becoming dehydrated as dry as it is and the fact it's only about 1-1.5" sling. Should I be worried at this point? I linked a photo for you guys to look at. This pic was taken several weeks ago.

Attachments

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi!
I have had GBB's in premolt for over a month, so I wouldn't stress here.. And don't worry about dehydration. If your sling has a water dish, then there should be no problem with hydration :) To put your mind at ease, you could still offer it food, and if it refuses, you have your answer. :) Sometimes it takes them quite some time to get ready for molting.
Providing your temperatures in the room with the spider are room temperature or above, and that your sling has a water dish, you should be fine :)

Just make sure it has access to water and try not to disturb the T for a few days.. Sometimes they delay because they don't feel safe.. Just let it be. It will molt soon :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If it was fed heavily before it stopped eating, the pre-molt phase takes more time. The sling is full and can't eat anymore, but the new exoskeleton still needs to developed, and that takes time. It looks healthy from what I can see. Offer a full waterdish, and leave it alone. :)

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like others have said, just let it be. It will molt when it is ready. I've had Ts stay in premolt (including refusing food) for a couple months at a time.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Take a water bottle cap and use it as a water dish. They are great for little guys and dont take up much room.

Sometimes Ts take forever to molt! Be patient and keep an eye on its abdomen. If you're really worried, try feeding it some prekilled prey.

Estein

Arachnoknight
I was in your shoes a few days ago wondering when my G. pulchripes sling would molt already--it had been weeks and weeks. The little one finally got around to it. Follow the above advice and keep the patience. ;)

cold blood

Staff member
No one can 100% accurately say how long it will be...when people were saying any day, it was a tongue and check guess. My GBB was hidden away for nearly 5 months....it takes as long as it takes.

TarantuLover81

Arachnosquire
Wow! Thank you everyone! My mind can be at ease now. I have some fun stuff to report also! I bought a B. vagans about two weeks ago and I came home to a freshly molted baby! It is about 1.5" now. It is unreal watching them grow from sling to adult....it is so fascinating!!!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I had my GBB do this same thing a few weeks ago. I found out that tarantulas will make you learn to have patience

Trenor

Arachnoprince
it was a tongue and check guess
This one is new to me. I'll have to see if I can work it into a conversation at the office. :D

Back on topic, My GBB ate all way till a 4 days ago before molting last night. As other have said there are really no way to know for sure how long your T has before it molts.

cold blood

Staff member
This one is new to me. I'll have to see if I can work it into a conversation at the office. :D

Back on topic, My GBB ate all way till a 4 days ago before molting last night. As other have said there are really no way to know for sure how long your T has before it molts.
Ahhh, my arch nemesis auto correct:shifty:...changing the correct words to the wrong words since 2010. If I ever meet the guy who created autocorrect, I will punch him in the nose.:punch:

Tongue and cheek my friend.

Irritatingly, it again changed cheek to check...like it doesn't recognize cheek as a word.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ahhh, my arch nemesis auto correct:shifty:...changing the correct words to the wrong words since 2010. If I ever meet the guy who created autocorrect, I will punch him in the nose.:punch:

Tongue and cheek my friend.

Irritatingly, it again changed cheek to check...like it doesn't recognize cheek as a word.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
I knew what you meant. :)

When I was in college we had a guy in my English class that wrote a paper. In this paper he wrote: "That did not bother me much. It rolled off me like a monkey off a ducks back." The next quick topic of the class was on how we should be sure to get common sayings right. :D

Since then a few of us at my office 'fixed' some sayings and use them for amusement. One of my favorites being: Don't beat a gift horse in the mouth."

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Trenor , the one about the horse sounds like a literal translation of a Dutch saying. Any Dutch colleagues around?