How long have you been keeping tarantulas?

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I'm just picking on you because that's what I do.. I mean we all have to have a purpose in life bro.. Ya gotta..:dead:

It's your call if you want to jump straight into the deep end of Theraphosids.. IME it usually doesn't end well and not ending well really could have a negative effect on all of us.. It's far fetched but possible.

The media and various branches of the government fabricate alot of there own story's to push there own agenda's. If they want Arachnoculture to disapear they don't need a person to be bitten, They just have to say it happened. That will get the ball rolling fast enough.

If you understand the risks and act responsibly it's likely you will be the only one that gets hurt and frankly, I don't care.. It's your body do with it as you please. Just make sure the spider can't escape and burt a neighbor or anyone else that isn't willing to take that risk.

I'm fully aware of the impact of a released non-native animal (I read about introduced and invasive species as a past time) for a decade now, the current IUCN standing of the genus in question (my views apparently do not coincide with CITES or IUCN, and have had opinion clashes with them in the past. I argue, they are a bunch of professionals who only care for their jobs with no genuine love for the animal). I'm active not just in Arachnidae, I'm also active in reptilian, formicology, lepidopteran, mammalian, and molluscan. I have a comprehensive knowledge of the current taxonomy and their revisions, of the classes mentioned, the natural history (general view point), human-animal interaction, interspecific interaction, to name a few. I have been studying biology and its diverse branches since age 7 (no exaggeration), read case studies written by experts, even dive into taxidermy. I'm an avid animal conservationist (in my own right), with zero tolenrance for bioterrorism.

So yes, I love animals to death, study them in great detail, wonder at their splendor, their specific role in the ecosystem, and the consequences brought by irresponsible keeping. I think I'm out of words by now. My apologies, I do not mean to sound cocky. I just want to stress a point. Like I said, I do not have your experience and knowledge. One can only go so detailed in 1 field at a time.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Whats the difference?
Well, they may be, but are not necessarily synonymous, such as in this case. Dash, in the context of my remark, is idiomatic, e.g., to dash my hopes. Bash, on the other hand, would be more objective, e.g., to criticise someone.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
4 years next month, I generally get bored of hobbies very quickly, but keeping T's has been a very enjoyable experience and I have no plans on getting out of the hobby anytime soon. Still feel the same awe of these amazing creatures as I did the day I unpacked my first T.

I have 17 at the moment, but plan on getting a lot more once my last year of school is over in May.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think 4 or 5 years, kept natives since I was a kid though.

Nonnack

Arachnoknight
I have bought my first T in 2006. Sold it, buy some more, sold it, and again... and then forget about this hobby for long time, because of school, changing houses, working abroad. Last year I finally finished my own apartment, and I thought 'hey, maybe I will buy one nice spider, it will look cool in my living room, hmm but which one should I choose...' Now I have 12 and still lot of space for more;)

Jmsalaobr

Arachnopeon
I bought my first tarantula in June. I now have 4 tarantulas, at some point I will probably buy more, but I will probably add to my reptile collection first.