how long have tarantulas been around?

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
taranutlas are around as long as you take care of them

Its seems like every thread I click on has somethin about evolutions in it and the same people debating what the heck, gosh{D

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as t's are found in australia, south america, africa, SE asia you have to assume that they were around when gondwana split (about 167 MYA)This also assumes that all the 'Theraphosids' we know and love are actually monophyletic (and im sure somebody out there will confirm that they are). the ancestors probably looked pretty much like the T's of today as australian species still to our eyes look similar to american species (well, we at least can point to a given spider and say 'thats a tarantula').

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sorry i don't know enough of half lives and radioactive decay, i'm still curious to how long it would take one atom of Uranium to decay(especially if surrounded by 20 ft of lead)wouldn't neutrino's be the only factor then or am i just a fuzzy logiked highschool student?
I've sent you a PM. Anyone who wants this explained by someone who worked in a National Radiation Laboratory is welcome to PM me, and I'll give them the benefit of a few years experience.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've sent you a PM. Anyone who wants this explained by someone who worked in a National Radiation Laboratory is welcome to PM me, and I'll give them the benefit of a few years experience.

PM me. I'm interested in your take on the subject. Like I said...not as familiar with RID dating as I'd like to be.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
all i can vouch for, for sure, is about 3.5 years

lol, and when i cared about such things i believe 6000 is closer to the actual "add it all up" number you can get from the bible
oh crap, you HAVE to read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism
i tried to lol but i think they need to go back to high school and learn how to write a research paper and redo it.
It reads like an operators manual written in Japanese and translated to German then into english lol In other words, clear as mud lol

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love sparking some tension by bringing up the word "God." Even though I don't believe in a God, it's still funny to rustle some feathers.

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I love sparking some tension by bringing up the word "God." Even though I don't believe in a God, it's still funny to rustle some feathers.
lol then your "talkative" mood is just in its setting.!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Doesn't bother me. Call God the biggest loser ever, I don't care. When I see posts like-

let me just say that God doesn't exist, so no, this shouldn't become an evolution debate.
I know its just a babbling un-debating mind that doesn't comprehend much more then he reads from a science book.

I welcome your argument in a religious debate (in the Watering Hole), but I think you'll get laughed out.

@Topic

Yeah, I figured you meant Theraphosids, but considering the evolutionary differences between pre-historic mygalamorphs, and the modern day specimens, I would be more inclusive.

-Sean

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since about the 70's, i...

oh, you mean on Earth. tough question, since inverts don't leave such conspicuous fossils as verts. i see 300 mill, i'm willing to buy that.

@ JMoran: you give atheists a bad name.

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Doesn't bother me. Call God the biggest loser ever, I don't care. When I see posts like-

I know its just a babbling un-debating mind that doesn't comprehend much more then he reads from a science book.

I welcome your argument in a religious debate (in the Watering Hole), but I think you'll get laughed out.

@Topic

Yeah, I figured you meant Theraphosids, but considering the evolutionary differences between pre-historic mygalamorphs, and the modern day specimens, I would be more inclusive.

-Sean
After what I have read, there is not much difference between pre-historic and todays mygalaporphes(thinking about trapdoor spiders), but maybe it is wrong!?

I asked Rick West about this question, and he told me that they have theraphosids fossiles dating back 30-40 million years, but it is possible that they have been around much longer:)
(sorry if the english is not perfect)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
After what I have read, there is not much difference between pre-historic and todays mygalaporphes(thinking about trapdoor spiders), but maybe it is wrong!?

I asked Rick West about this question, and he told me that they have theraphosids fossiles dating back 30-40 million years, but it is possible that they have been around much longer:)
(sorry if the english is not perfect)
i dont think anyone really knows the answer to that , like someone else posted , they dont leave a lot fo fossil evidence like a vertibrate would.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK folks...the God debate can be ended by simply reading my signature. :worship:

As far as the "giant spider" from millions of years ago goes, I don't think anything larger than the largest present day tarantulas ever existed. I just think tarantulas and spiders in general are survivors, and if there was this "giant spider," it wouldnt have gone extinct.

By-Tor

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spider's are highly adaptable, but I'm not sure a giant one would have lasted long kinda like we don't see dragonflies bigger than 4"

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spider's are highly adaptable, but I'm not sure a giant one would have lasted long kinda like we don't see dragonflies bigger than 4"

If you're interested in the giant arthropods of the past, the exchange between Nbond and I in this thread should shed a little light on the subject and give you a starting point to research the subject.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

@Topic

-Sean
it was for laughs smart guy. in fact, why would I go and prove the obvious non-existence of a deity when it's perfectly acceptable for Christians to NOT prove that he does exist?