How long does pre-molt last?

andreeew

Arachnopeon
I'm a bit confused about how long does pre-molt last because my b.smithi spiderling fasted for about a week then molted but my Chaco spiderling ate last 7/30/10 then by 8/1/10 morning he molted! Is there a specific time for pre-molt fast or is it random?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its different for every T. There is absolutley no way to know for sure when a T will molt.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only spider can anwser you that. :) Normally it takes few days to few months, depends on the spider. My B. smithi's last premolt took about 2 months and 1 month pos molt. B. smithis are awsome becouse you will learn how to become patient. :D

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah premolts can be long and as your spider gets bigger they tend to last longer, I had a Rose Hair spend 6 months in premolt this year. I also had a B. Auratum go from september to July in premolt during this time she never ate.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is some species that can be in premolt for a few weeks as adults or slings , and then 6 months or more with some others . It really just depends .

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is some species that can be in premolt for a few weeks as adults or slings , and then 6 months or more with some others . It really just depends .
Which species are in premolt for 6 months?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, well, that's still not accurate. Fasting != premolt.

dRrosenber

Arachnopeon
Ok, well, that's still not accurate. Fasting != premolt.
Really?!
Sorry for being a newbie, but I always (well since I got my T, and prior research) though that the premolt was consisting of the T fasting and doing a whole lot of nothing.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's more common with G. rosea to fast randomly, but other spiders can do it too.

Spiders will also fast if they're dehydrated...but hopefully that's something that doesn't happen very often.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
G. rosea in particular and other slow metabolism T's to a lesser degree will just up and fast for months at a time. This doesn't necessarily indicate pre-molt at all. It just means they have enough calories stored up for the immediate future and as such, they're not hungry.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. rosea in particular and other slow metabolism T's to a lesser degree will just up and fast for months at a time. This doesn't necessarily indicate pre-molt at all. It just means they have enough calories stored up for the immediate future and as such, they're not hungry.
Agree. I had a rosea that hadn't eaten a single morsel of food from the day I got her to the day she molted 10 months later.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The hits just keep on coming!!!{D{D{D

PIG-

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Some spiders can eat like pigs for a few weeks and they barricade themselvs in a burrow for a very long time.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. versicolor didn't ate that much from the last molt to this one wich she had two days ago. She ate like 5 roaches and mealworms in two months.

My B. smithi for another example: Before last molt she didn't ate for two months. She didn't ate after molt for one month, just rejected food. Now about one and a half month ago she started to eat like lets say T. blondi for three straight weeks, every day she ate one bug from mealworms and some mealworms. And boy she's a pig! Now she started premolt fasting about three weeks ago I think. She stoped eating, her abdomen is almost all bald, started to work on a web....

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Depends. If they are smaller than the spider. Also the mealwormshave little nutrinian value for bigger spider and superworm have too much fat. I give my spiders mixed diet of mealworms, flour beetle wich turns from mealworms, blatta lateralis roaches, crickets, zophobas morio(superworms) and their beattles.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have not defined premolt carefully for this conversation, which is one reason we keep getting really varying opinions on the matter.

We have a pretty hard time telling what's going on with our tarantulas. Signs of impending molts are not real clear until right before it happens. I think a good number of people consider premolt the period of time between when a tarantula stops taking food and when it molts. Unfortunately, tarantulas can fast for reasons we don't understand. If they do it right up to a molt, is that premolt? Who can say? I had a G pulchripes go 11 months without accepting food and then molted. After that she ate real well. Was she in premolt the whole time? I'm inclined to think she just wasn't hungry. Some T's will eat the day before they molt. Does that mean their premolt is one day?

Since the characteristics that define premolt have not been set in this discussion, it doesn't actually make sense to talk about how long it lasts. Certainly going without food doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator.

Unfortunately the symptoms vary from tarantula to tarantula, molt to molt, species to species, etc. For that reason I'm not sure we can say for sure when premolt begins.

If the tarantula has a bald patch, it gets dark something like a week before it molts in my experience. They put a bunch of webbing around the walls of their enclosure a few hours before they flip over. For some time (which may be long or short) before they molt, they don't eat. That's about as specific as I think I can be about how long premolt lasts.