How long can a sling stay in pre-molt?

Simon83

Arachnosquire
My g.pulchra sling molted after two months of getting her (she molted probably the day or so before I got her) and it's now been almost 3 months since then and I'm guessing another molt is coming up because she's stopped eating for 3 weeks now. Truthfully it'd probably be longer as she really wasn't interested in the last meal she ate...I think she just ate it because I was annoying her by prodding the cricket into her. I seem to remember her being in premolt for about 2/3 weeks last time but is 3+ weeks normal to not eat for an inch/inch and a quarter long sling? I know adult roseas can fast for insane amount of times but I don't ever recall pulchra (and especially slings) doing the same. I'm keeping her waterbowl topped up but don't ever see her drinking from it, just stays in the same position. Do t's fast for longer the older they get?

Eugh. Daddy syndrome is driving me crazy.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Grammostola / Brachypelma genuses are sometimes prone to do some fasting periods aside molting *shrugs*. I wouldn't be too worried if the spider looks healthy, behaves normally, has always a fresh water supply.

EDIT: Dang it, I overread that you said sling. What size are we talking about?

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Haha about an inch/inch and a quarter :) yeah, I know the grammastola can fast for quite a while, I've just not seen it in slings. She's still nice and plump so I'm trying to get *too* concerned.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen Grammostola slings not eat for a month prior to finally molting. It can be infuriating how slow they do things at times. I'm just now going through the same thing with a few G. pulchra slings. They've stopped eating a good 3-4 weeks ago without molting.

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Good to know I'm not alone then :) she refused food again last night for the third week in a row. It really can be quite infuriating...I'm silently shouting at her 'molt, you little b*****d!!!' :p

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, my smithi is STILL in premolt and I'm really hoping she'll do so soon, too. Drives me nuts by now, but if you learn one thing in this hobby then it's definitely patience :D

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
basically whats the rush? in my opinion
If I read some links right, that was someone ELSE's opinion - until you saw the sense of what was posted in replies. Hmmm.... maybe you're learning something! Altho I find it strange that you're linking to another forum. aha :sarcasm:

Anyway, on topic: As others said, patience is a virtue. It's also normal. :happy:

Last edited:

Jared781

Arachnobaron
If I read some links right, that was someone ELSE's opinion - until you saw the sense of what was posted in replies. Hmmm.... maybe you're learning something! Altho I find it strange that you're linking to another forum. aha :sarcasm:

Anyway, on topic: As others said, patience is a virtue. It's also normal. :happy:
because they made me realise and i believe it... so now i can consider it my opinion, right?? hah

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
because they made me realise and i believe it... so now i can consider it my opinion, right?? hah
I hope you thanked them. They might be pleased to know their words helped someone. :happy:

To the OP: Relax and enjoy your slings. As Jared said.... "what's the rush?".

:biggrin:

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the replies everyone! Patience is definitely a virtue and also something I'm impatiently working on :p I came home from work this evening to find Sadako on her back in mid-molt. Hard to tell at the moment as she still needs to stretch out but it looks like she's grown a fair bit.

As for the cricket prodding, I know it's probably a stupid thing to do :-/ it's mostly because she was a little sluggish trying to catch it so I was trying to help her by prodding into her direction. Will try to quit that though if it's not good for her :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It was probably meant like not "prodding the cricket into her again and again and again" when it's clear she's not interested. Doing it once is usually enough - if the T is hungry, she'll get it :)

Simon83

Arachnosquire
Oh I totally agree! I just have a habit of mollycuddling my sling like she's a baby that can't look after herself.

ilovefootvall

Arachnopeon
Yeah, my smithi is STILL in premolt and I'm really hoping she'll do so soon, too. Drives me nuts by now, but if you learn one thing in this hobby then it's definitely patience :D
Yo man, how big was your smithi when this thing happened lol, and how big was it and how long did it stay in premolt haha bc im getting a package from other country 4-5 days shipping the and the t's are 3/4 inch in pre molt

cold blood

Staff member
Yo man, how big was your smithi when this thing happened lol, and how big was it and how long did it stay in premolt haha bc im getting a package from other country 4-5 days shipping the and the t's are 3/4 inch in pre molt
Do you have import permits? They're exceedingly expensive....if you don't, you are smuggling....if you do, you are probably receiving some crazy expensive slings.

You can't just order ts from abroad like you would from within the country.

Oh yeah, this threads over 5 years old. Its been over 4 months since storm has been online, I wouldn't expect a quick response.

ilovefootvall

Arachnopeon
Do you have import permits? They're exceedingly expensive....if you don't, you are smuggling....if you do, you are probably receiving some crazy expensive slings.

You can't just order ts from abroad like you would from within the country.

Oh yeah, this threads over 5 years old. Its been over 4 months since storm has been online, I wouldn't expect a quick response.
yeah he's from Europe and he has all the papers hehehe he's just making me the decision, if I send he should send it or nah, what do you think man?

cold blood

Staff member
What are you getting that you were willing to shell out like a grand for some slings??

Keep in mind that what the seller has is not relevant.....that covers his end, you need the corresponding papers as well...at your own steep cost. If a seller told you otherwise, he flat out lied to you.

Clearly I think NO.

ilovefootvall

Arachnopeon
What are you getting that you were willing to shell out like a grand for some slings??
i spend 200 dollars for this

3pcs auratum 1 in premolt
2pcs fireleg
2pcs klaasi 2 in premolt
2pcs P. met female
2pcs balf
1pc emilia
1pc albo

cold blood

Staff member
i spend 200 dollars for this

3pcs auratum 1 in premolt
2pcs fireleg
2pcs klaasi 2 in premolt
2pcs P. met female
2pcs balf
1pc emilia
1pc albo
Yeah, not only are you brown bagging (smuggling)...but bringing a CITES controlled genus (Brachypelma) across country borders is another major violation unto its self. On top of that, they would have to be declared and only imported to specific ports.

Get out of the fiasco asap and order from someone here in the states before you have customs agents at your door, a date with a lawyer and a court date.

There's a reason none of us buy our ts from Europe.