How long can a Pterror sling survive on the loose?

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I received my P.Murinus slings yesterday and spent a couple of hours transferring them to seperate containers. When I woke up this morning, I noticed that two of the jars are empty(or so it seems). I've put them in my bathroom so I now I might have a couple of half inch slings on the loose. How long could these two survive? It doesn't bother me much, but others might not want to use the bathroom with these two on the loose...

Tito

Edit: Being winter in Norway there aren't much, if any food available for them.

Last edited:

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Huh?? What?? Is it even possible?? A Tito post WITHOUT excellent pics!?? I'll be damned... Hehe Bring on pics of them pterrors! I'd love to see the monsters I'm buying ;) As to the question; not too long i suppose.. there ARE house spiders hunting at winter time too though, so if the wee pterror is lucky it might catch a meal that way, however unlikely :)

Thomas

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

They are a pretty hardy spider, and there are accounts of that species turning up about 9 months later. Id let a few crickets loose during feeding time for the chance that they may run into one another.

-V

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Adult and juvenile murinus can live for a long time loose in the house (don't know where I've heard it, but I heard that one person found his pterror in the back of his sock drawer, having build a nice web there). But I'm not sure how long half inch slings can survive, I'd guess they need more moisture than is usually available in a house.
greetz,
Joost

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
hopefully they just dug a retreat into the middle of the substrate--that is assuming you put substrate into their jars!

pterrors are awesome dig-n-hiders. whenever mine decides to uproot (usually because i've bothered her to the point of relocation) and dig elsewhere, i have to pay close attention to where she is. sometimes she digs in the middle of her container, but most often she digs along side it in a corner.

the local mom and pop pet store here had a pterror for sale, and it dug its retreat in the center of the pet pal. the owners were just about to empty the pet pal out because it seemed as if the tarantula had escaped until i told them to look on the bottom of the pet pal. lo and behold, there it was, right in the middle. the owner would have had quite a surprise had she used her unprotected hand to sweep out the substrate.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Out of the 70 or so slings ive kept, the Pterinochilus were the strongest in passing observation.

I dont know the weather conditions in europe though.

-V

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Out of the 70 or so slings ive kept, the Pterinochilus were the strongest in passing observation.

I dont know the weather conditions in europe though.

-V
Oh yeah, when I had my s'ling, I always had to do a double or tripple take to find it. The guy didn't have his orange yet, and his current color blended in perfectly with the peat that I was keep him on.

Jon

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I kept these two on moist paper, wich is white so they should be easy to see. I also took the paper out and folded it out, but alas no slings. Just to be sure, I keep the containers closed and moist even if they sure appear to be empty.
There where three that got out, but I found the third one while brushing my teeth. It was hanging out on the towel I just used after taking a shower...

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
well, good luck finding the remaining two that are mia. pterrors are the worst to lose since they are satisfied living high up or somewhere on the ground. but always in nice, hideaway spaces.

just to be on the safe side, make sure your neighbors don't have any heart conditions (you might want to mention something in passing)!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
Adult and juvenile murinus can live for a long time loose in the house (don't know where I've heard it, but I heard that one person found his pterror in the back of his sock drawer, having build a nice web there). But I'm not sure how long half inch slings can survive, I'd guess they need more moisture than is usually available in a house.
greetz,
Joost

It was me who posted the sock drawer story. It happened to a friend of mine to whom I had given a sling to.

I've bred these a couple of times over the last few years, and I almost always end up loosing one or two either while splitting them up or during maintence. They often turn up, months later, and much bigger, obviously having survived a molt or two. They are very dry tolerant, and are apparently well equiped for survival within a home, even when said home is full of house spiders.

Now, the question is, is this good news or bad news ;) ?

Wade

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal

just to be on the safe side, make sure your neighbors don't have any heart conditions (you might want to mention something in passing)!
Luckily it's 14 degrees outside so there ain't gonna be any neighbors dying. Hmm, that gives me an idea, when summer comes there might be another escape I think...

Tito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Wade

Now, the question is, is this good news or bad news ;) ?

Wade
Hi Wade,

this would be the bad kind, I don't think I'm going to mention this to any of my friends...