How long before I "dig up" LP sling to see if it's dead?

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
So he's been burrowed for three weeks since right after I got him. There's a small hole where I would see him once in a while but it's been at least a week since I've seen movement. Also he hasn't eaten for 10 days. I'm not worried yet but at what point would you dig up his burrow to see if it's dead or not?

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
So he's been burrowed for three weeks since right after I got him. There's a small hole where I would see him once in a while but it's been at least a week since I've seen movement. Also he hasn't eaten for 10 days. I'm not worried yet but at what point would you dig up his burrow to see if it's dead or not?
well if it start to smell then I would dig him up. some questions how big is he? if he is of good size he could be in pre molt in which case that doesn't sound unusual. I have some slings sealed them self in burrow for about three weeks or more before finally making an appearance. also have you tried to see him out at night. at lot of species will come out their burrows at night and is when I can ever see the.

Last edited:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
If it don't smell, leave it alone :D

You wouldn't want to hurt it trying to dig it up right?

I'm not going to lie, I've done this with my OBT who was my second arachnid. After a few weeks I got nervous and ripped open the hide and there he was, bigger than he was last time and not very pleased. No threat displays but none the less, he was disgruntled and very fast.

No smell is a good sign. Refusing food and staying burrowed is also a good sign of premolt.

Just keep up with the weekly mistings or leave a tiny shallow water dish.

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
He's probably too small to smell anyway. Only .75" He did eat a couple of times since I got him but hasn't molted yet as far as I know... I'll wait a while longer plus if he is dead i can get a 1.5" LP for $30 now anyway.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Most slings burrow when young, then as they grow become bolder and can be Seen wandering as do slings usually at night, I would leave him/her alone for the mean time, if you are really worried then ok Digg it out, could be in pre-molt and if so then I don't advise doing that, LP grow quite fast so in a few months will become a juvie, granted not all grow like weeds but alot do, I would like to see a pic or description of your setup so we can advise better.

RabidWombat

Arachnopeon
I would not dig him up at all. Just leave it alone. As comparison, I haven't seen my Euathlus about 2.5 months now. It's still fairly small, only about 1.25". It closed up its hide and that was the last I saw.

I also have an LP that is about 0.5"ish. I feed it every 7 to 14 days, depending on how fat it's looking. It's molted twice for me. Before each molt it has stopped eating for about 2 weeks. I wait a week until after it finishes molting before feeding again. Just put a little water in one corner of its enclosure from time to time and it'll come out when it is ready.

If you get overly concerned about it not eating, you could try putting a piece of a meal worm outside its burrow. Don't drop it down the burrow. If it is hungry it'll come out (when you're not looking) and get it.

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nothing you can do if its dead anyway but you could definitely hurt it bothering it if its mid-molt, so may as well wait and see. I'm sure it's fine, this is nothing out of the ordinary for a T.

DoctorBones

Arachnopeon
I have a roughly 1-3/4" B. vagans sling that I see literally every couple of months at best. I'm not even sure how big it is at this point. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
the burrow is sealed. you can't even see where there is an opening. he's probably fine. my gbb sling that molted once is always on his web and now attacking live crix and he's under an inch

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
the burrow is sealed. you can't even see where there is an opening. he's probably fine. my gbb sling that molted once is always on his web and now attacking live crix and he's under an inch
if its webbed up then he is in pre molt most likely or getting ready to molt

alpine

Arachnosquire
I'm sure you will see the little guy eventually. Just give him time to finish what he is doing and he will come out brand spanking new.

alpine

Arachnosquire
You sure it isn't a dirt curtain? I didn't think my Rosea had webbed that much but when I picked her up the other day she brought with her a nice large matt of webbed substrate that I had to gently remove from her little feet.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leave your spiders ALONE !! That's why you always have more than 1 .
I had 1 buried for 3 months, guess what ? I seen it yesterday & it's just fine (thirsty but fine) .
Stop annoying your spiders.

singaporesling

Arachnosquire
Leave your spiders ALONE !! That's why you always have more than 1 .
I had 1 buried for 3 months, guess what ? I seen it yesterday & it's just fine (thirsty but fine) .
Stop annoying your spiders.
who the <edit> said they annoyed their spider? I haven't bothered it all all so there...EDIT-i just saw him moving today finally. I never did anything different. I just waited so lesson learned

Last edited by a moderator:

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
who the <edit> said they annoyed their spider? I haven't bothered it all all so there...EDIT-i just saw him moving today finally. I never did anything different. I just waited so lesson learned
One: Calm the heck down. Snapping at one another is unhelpful.

Two: I'm very glad your spider is okay. In the future, though, remember this--it's not dead until you can smell it, and digging up a spider is almost never a good idea.

Tarac

Arachnolord

Two: I'm very glad your spider is okay. In the future, though, remember this--it's not dead until you can smell it, and digging up a spider is almost never a good idea.
Be aware- a tiny spider can die and decay without a detectable odor. It really depends on how large the spider is, at least for my nose which is not that shabby of a nose.

Theist 17

Arachnosquire
Really? I've heard, from friends of mine, of slings throwing around a stench if they die, even when smaller. Maybe they were looking for an excuse to give the roommate. Haha

singaporesling

Arachnosquire

number 1....Dont shout at me with caps and tell me to leave it alone when I never bothered it and just asked a question . It finally ate after 16 days and its barely an inch.

Last edited by a moderator: