how long before feeding

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i should be getting my two G- ROSEA tomorrow at last a long story :wall: anyway how long should i give them before a feed they will be adult and one will be the R-C-F not that makes any difference as to them eating LOL so any advice would be good thanks ---- PHIL

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi i should be getting my two G- ROSEA tomorrow at last a long story :wall: anyway how long should i give them before a feed they will be adult and one will be the R-C-F not that makes any difference as to them eating LOL so any advice would be good thanks ---- PHIL
I would give them a day or two to adjust to their new home before offering food. Make sure to have fresh water available too because they will prbably be dehydrated from shipping.

Brian

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would concur with the above advise. Give them a couple of days then throw in some crickets and walk away. They'll take care of the rest. You might see Schultz's advise and information concerning G. rosa. which can be found here:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
Some of the best accurate advise out there concerning this species. Good luck.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have fed them as soon as I place them in a new container. I never have given any invert an "adjustment period". For that matter I have taken male tarantulas right out of the box and mated them before

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the problem I have had with feeding without the adjustment period is:

The occupant runs away from the prey item offered and clings to the walls until it feels safe. There are some exceptions but, that is the way that has worked for me.

Mating is a totally different subject IMO. I have had limited success with breeding males right out of the shipping box.

Brian

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The occupant runs away from the prey item offered and clings to the walls until it feels safe. There are some exceptions but, that is the way that has worked for me.
There is really no right or wrong way to do this. We are actually both right even though we apprach this from "opposite sides"

Mating is a totally different subject IMO. I have had limited success with breeding males right out of the shipping box.

Brian
It probably varies from species to species or even individuals for that matter. Here is a C bechuanicus that went from box to female's enclosure.

Here is the eggs

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would give them a day or two to adjust to their new home before offering food. Make sure to have fresh water available too because they will prbably be dehydrated from shipping.

Brian
It wouldn't hurt to wait a week or two. They aren't going to starve in that time and they'll have a lot of time to get used to their new home.

Maybe redecorate a little. Maybe try to invite some of the old buddies to look at the new digs.

Oops! Sorry. Another senior's moment! :)

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I always give new T's a couple of days to settle in before I feed them. Some people don't. It works both ways, so do what you feel is best.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I personally feed my new arrivals ASAP. I know I'd like a nice meal after a long flight, so why not them? If the prey item is still alive after an hour or 2 I remove it.