How long after a molt should i start breeding?

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
My male H incei matured on the 9th of July so i ordered him a female and unfortunately due to a terrible dealer she was delivered after i left for a vacation, i found her to be alive and well when i came back yesterday and she had molted in the packaging and seems interested in food but not eating so i assume its 3-10 days ago she molted. My question is when should introduce them to each other. I've heard a month and 3 and anything up to 6 months but what is the best time? also any tips for a first time breeder would be nice.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have been told and followed the advice to feed twice after molt before pairing. The first feeding is obviously the post molt fill up the starving spider feeding. The second feeding you keep offering her prey until she refuses it. This way she is definitely not hungry when you introduce the male. It seems to take a month or two on average, depending on species, environment, and individual. I have one that took weeks to refuse prey on the second feeding. She's a bottomless pit. I must have fed her a hundred crickets. On the other end of the spectrum, I have one that ate three crickets and was full and ready to go.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As far as I know, they're ready to go so long as it's been long enough for them to have a couple good meals. You want that female fat, that's about it.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
One month minimum, 2 months on the outside. She's got 2 weeks just to recoup from molting before she starts eating, and she should have several weeks of heavy feeding so she doesn't mistake her suitor for a meal. Don't rush it, as she could kill him before an insertion and you're out of luck. If you have a good male, there's no reason to wait 6 months.

cold blood

Staff member
One month minimum, 2 months on the outside. She's got 2 weeks just to recoup from molting before she starts eating, and she should have several weeks of heavy feeding so she doesn't mistake her suitor for a meal. Don't rush it, as she could kill him before an insertion and you're out of luck. If you have a good male, there's no reason to wait 6 months.
Completely agree, you want to fatten that female up so she's in prime shape....I'd wait at least a month, probably 2. I'd also feed her more frequently than you might other wise...fatty foods like wax worms or small superworms are primary fattening feeders for me.

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Glad you got your T and it's safe. Apparently they tried to send my slings and was lost in post. Which seems strange. Nightmare.

Good luck with any breeding!