How is your Poecilotheria?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve only kept / keep two kinds of Poecilotheria:
  • Poecilotheria metallica
  • Poecilotheria rufilata
That being said, I do not know how other Poecilotheria kinds are different from the ones I am keeping currently.

I doubt there will be significant differences from one to another, but recent @viper69’s comment got me interested.

And here it is:

P mets are not the best of eaters from the genus. Mine aren't, but ornata, regalis,and rufilata eat like pigs.
Of course not all tarantulas are same even in same genus, and their personalities are vary little by little from one to another, that I get it. In general however, how different it is, in terms of eating habit wise, in between Poecilotheria metallica, and Poecilotheria rufilata?

What I observed from mine, there is not much difference in between those. Both kinds are eating well.

So, also how is your Poecilotheria, if you are keeping one that is?

quirinus

Arachnoknight
i own(ed) metallica, regalis and miranda. none of them refused a single prey item i offered to them, ever.
but it is always pretty obvious if they are willing to eat or not.

Cask1969

Arachnopeon
I don't have experience with others, but I have 3 P Ornada. All good eaters and fast growers.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I’ve only had pokies about a year, but so far I’ve found that rufilata are the most reclusive. For me, regalis and Metallica are out the most, but usually don’t move too much. I also have 2 vittata, ornata, and tigrinawesseli, and all Of them are usually visible but have a burrow they will retreat to if I move or open the enclosures. Fwiw- Metallica and subfusca lowland are the only ones I have that are adults, 1.1 of each. Subfusca does dirt curtains but the Metallica’s don’t really web

Honestly they all seem relatively similar behavior wise, aside from my rufilatas tendency to always be hidden. All of them are good eaters

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have kept, Metallica, Regalis, Ornata, vittata, Rufilata, all are close to the same, my oranta we a bit more defensive.

Speed wise, all about the same. The only species that gave me a threat pose was the Ornata.
currently all i keep is Metallica and Regalis.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Poecilotheria species tend to vary from specimen to specimen and some are better or worse than others in terms of eating. I find that the P. metallica is a really bad eater in my experience, but I know some people have really feisty eater specimens. P. striata are good eaters, but most of mines are the on and off type of eaters. Meaning they will eat like crazy for one month and the next month, they won't eat anything. P. ornata is a mix, some are good eaters and others are not. And although I have more species, the same can be said with all other species.

Overall, you can't really make a correlation for the Poecilotheria genus as all of them are similar in nature, but specimens will always vary. So whatever kind of specimen you end up with, it's the one you're going to have to deal with.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have kept, Metallica, Regalis, Ornata, vittata, Rufilata, all are close to the same, my oranta we a bit more defensive.

Speed wise, all about the same. The only species that gave me a threat pose was the Ornata.
currently all i keep is Metallica and Regalis.
so do all your Ts constantly worry and post about you because you’re always in pre-molt? ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I've kept metallica and subfusca HL/LL.

My metallica was always a pretty good eater but growth was much slower than the others, he was also by far the most skittish/erratic and would occasionally throw up threat postures, would catch him out and about pretty often though.

My subfusca LLs have all been pretty calm, decent growth (think my first male matured in a little over a year, current pair are around the 4" or so), great eaters, fairly visible.

My subfusca HL is a little more visible than the LLs but otherwise pretty much the same.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Once you've kept and raised multiple individuals of each species, you will have a better understanding.

Generally, my beast eaters have always been ornata and regalis. Most skittish are lowland and mettalica.

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
All my pokies eat well, my metallica actually seems the most chillled - until waterbowl complacency! :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
They all act pretty much the same...formosa is a little more high strung and is most easily spooked IME.

I have never kept subfusca.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
P. regalis: for the most part, reclusive. Very food motivated, though. Can be very defensive if disturbed.
P. metallica: Very fast and skittish. I've heard that a lot of them tend to hide a lot, but mine is almost always out on display. Will never pass up a meal unless in heavy premolt. Will bolt and run laps around the enclosure at the slightest disturbance.
P. miranda: Mine is much calmer than my other Poecilotheria, almost docile. Remains hidden most of the time and tends to be a little more finicky about eating.
P. ornata: Comes out regularly at night. Skittish. Great eater. Only a sling still, so I'm not sure of its adult temperament quite yet.

MeanBean

Arachnopeon
My mirandas have always angels till they mature! So far my couple of regalis have been the most mellow. Metallicas are demons.

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
They all act pretty much the same...formosa is a little more high strung and is most easily spooked IME.

I have never kept subfusca.
So my only study group is 1 adult female P. striata that I raised from a sling and the juvenile P. formosa that I am currently raising, but I will concur that my formosa is so far way more skittish and high strung then the striata was. Have to be very careful every time I feed or do maintenance on it because it either has a crazy feeding response or just bolts around like crazy. The striata would just crawl to it's hide and wait till I was done doing whatever.