How is my enclosure? 2" B. Smithi coming Tuesday

MKG

Arachnopeon
I cut a plastic cup for his hide.
Is my substrate deep enough.
Is the water dish too big?
Do I need to spray the substrate? I though no but this is my first T.

Attachments

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Looks good, a smidge more substrate wouldn't hurt, but it's hard to judge that without seeing the T in there. Don't wet the sub at all, bone dry.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Bravo, mate :) You're a lot closer than what most people do. If you already had the tarantula, then I'd say leave it. But since you've got time...

-I'd raise the substrate just an inch or two, for caution's sake. I'm sure it's fine as-is, but some more dirt wouldn't hurt.

-Bury the hide a bit more. Spiders like cramped spaces. They're smart enough to take dirt out if they want, but they're usually not quite smart enough to put it in to make it tighter. Also make sure that what you have isn't a dead-end of a hide. Most spiders will burrow at least a little bit, and giving them a dead-end isn't ideal. Just break the pot in half. Don't want to break that pot? Terra cotta pots are less than a dollar at any craft store. Take a hammer to the bottom first to break out the bottom, then hammer the side to break it square in half.

-Water dish is fine. I prefer disposable ones to make cleaning easier, but one spider won't be too hard to keep up on!

-No need to spray the substrate. At 2", your B. smithi can be kept nearly bone dry. Overfill the water dish every other week or so and call it a day.

-Everything else is fine, but take the handle off of the lid so no one uses it. Those handles are notoriously fragile, and a fall could be deadly to your spider.

MKG

Arachnopeon
Looks good, a smidge more substrate wouldn't hurt, but it's hard to judge that without seeing the T in there. Don't wet the sub at all, bone dry.
Perfect! Thank you. I'm going to add a little more substrate to be safe.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
If there is more than a 3 inch gap from the lid to the substrate, I would put more in.

It's better to overflow the water dish a little bit than to spray the substrate.

MKG

Arachnopeon
Bravo, mate :) You're a lot closer than what most people do. If you already had the tarantula, then I'd say leave it. But since you've got time...

-I'd raise the substrate just an inch or two, for caution's sake. I'm sure it's fine as-is, but some more dirt wouldn't hurt.

-Bury the hide a bit more. Spiders like cramped spaces. They're smart enough to take dirt out if they want, but they're usually not quite smart enough to put it in to make it tighter. Also make sure that what you have isn't a dead-end of a hide. Most spiders will burrow at least a little bit, and giving them a dead-end isn't ideal. Just break the pot in half. Don't want to break that pot? Terra cotta pots are less than a dollar at any craft store. Take a hammer to the bottom first to break out the bottom, then hammer the side to break it square in half.

-Water dish is fine. I prefer disposable ones to make cleaning easier, but one spider won't be too hard to keep up on!

-No need to spray the substrate. At 2", your B. smithi can be kept nearly bone dry. Overfill the water dish every other week or so and call it a day.

-Everything else is fine, but take the handle off of the lid so no one uses it. Those handles are notoriously fragile, and a fall could be deadly to your spider.
The hide is a plastic cup. I cut it in half and removed the bottom of the cup as well. I added more substrate and I definitely will bury the hide more. Thank you for your help.

MKG

Arachnopeon
If there is more than a 3 inch gap from the lid to the substrate, I would put more in.

It's better to overflow the water dish a little bit than to spray the substrate.
Thank you. Adding more now.

MKG

Arachnopeon

Okay! I cut the hide down a little and added more substrate. Here is where I am at! I held back on putting a fake plant in. I'm a girl so I like pretty but I think this will be fine.

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay! I cut the hide down a little and added more substrate. Here is where I am at! I held back on putting a fake plant in. I'm a girl so I like pretty but I think this will be fine.
Looks like you're ready for your spider :)

If you want a plant, go for it. Just don't go overboard, have it off in the corner or something. Heavily wash the plastic plant before putting it in, of course.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My only advice has been given to you. Bury the hide more.

Bravo on your choice. Brachypelma Smithi are absolutely stunning and the quintessential tarantula.

MKG

Arachnopeon
Looks like you're ready for your spider :)

If you want a plant, go for it. Just don't go overboard, have it off in the corner or something. Heavily wash the plastic plant before putting it in, of course.
Great! Thank you! I am so excited to get this little guy!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
It looks great. Also I say go for putting a fake plant in the corner it adds decor and if yours is like my smithi she'll have fun moving it around every day like it's a toy.

BTW she has two fake plants in her enclosure but for some reason she only plays with the one for no apparent reason. :wacky:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Looks good! However I should mention that I kept Regina the G. pulchripes (same size as your B. smithi) in the same type of enclosure.
tarantula.jpg
And she immediately sealed her burrow and didn't come out until I dug her out. Yes, even a tiny kritter keeper is apparently too big for a 2" tarantula.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks great to me. Excellent choice, I have a smithi that's 2.5", so beautiful and characterful.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Generally speaking you want the distance from sub to lid height to be no more than 1.5X their diagonal leg span to prevent injury or death due to fall.

In larger setups, to avoid spending more $$$ on lots of sub, you can fill the container up with anything that takes up space, such as glass or bricks, etc etc, then cover with sub. It does save one $$$.