How Involved Are Your SO?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice. We could have met before and didn’t know it, haha. The mystery still exists.
Indeed! Generally, it was a good show for city that had a small population. I've been to other areas in Cali that didn't have nearly as good a show in some ways. And the best thing of all it was MONTHLY.!!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Indeed! Generally, it was a good show for city that had a small population. I've been to other areas in Cali that didn't have nearly as good a show in some ways. And the best thing of all it was MONTHLY.!!
Good times for sure. At one point it was a very successful show.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good times for sure. At one point it was a very successful show.
Completely agree! There was a time when it was great, month after month, year after year, for many years. I was there when it was in the Armory and later in downtown Bham. Then a few years I flew to visit a friend, and stopped in, man it was horrible, it was like a few people standing around in a garage. Great to get mice, that's it.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Completely agree! There was a time when it was great, month after month, year after year, for many years. I was there when it was in the Armory and later in downtown Bham. Then a few years I flew to visit a friend, and stopped in, man it was horrible, it was like a few people standing around in a garage. Great to get mice, that's it.
Yep, soon after it started going down the southern exotic reptile expo started up. It wasn’t very long before that show shut down. Mostly ball pythons.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
My wife kind of pushed me to get my first tarantula. She knew I always wanted one and pointed out the Craigslist ad that led me to getting my first one. She has bought me a couple over the years. And she is willing to talk about them a bit. Ultimately though, she does not have anything to do with them. In addition, all of my tarantulas are at my office instead of at home because she does not want them there. So, I would not say she's enthusiastic about them, but she is supportive about my hobby.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My wife kind of pushed me to get my first tarantula. She knew I always wanted one and pointed out the Craigslist ad that led me to getting my first one. She has bought me a couple over the years. And she is willing to talk about them a bit. Ultimately though, she does not have anything to do with them. In addition, all of my tarantulas are at my office instead of at home because she does not want them there. So, I would not say she's enthusiastic about them, but she is supportive about my hobby.
Why did she push you to get them, if she is more than willing to push them out the door too?? I didn't expect that.

Have you mentioned to her that model 2.0 is coming out, and her time is limited if she doesn't change? I would.

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
Why did she push you to get them, if she is more than willing to push them out the door too?? I didn't expect that.

Have you mentioned to her that model 2.0 is coming out, and her time is limited if she doesn't change? I would.
If the office were not an option, I think she would allow them at the house. She just doesn't want one getting out (not that that has ever happened, I'm pretty OCD about making sure enclosures are closed properly). Ultimately, she wants me to have something I enjoy, she's just a little arachnophobic herself. That all being said, she does like my b. emilia.

ResinBomb

Arachnopeon
My fiancé is supportive even interested. Although doesn't do anything as far as maintenance she seems to enjoy watching them almost as much as I do and even pushed a little for me to get them when I said I wanted some months ago. She essentially made sure we had the resources after Christmas for me to start executing my invertebrate invasion. Although she really loves our ball python.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
If involved we mean getting threatened with a divorce with a new addition, well yeah, she's involved!!! Lol!!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If involved we mean getting threatened with a divorce with a new addition, well yeah, she's involved!!! Lol!!!

HILARIOUS, at least we know she cares :rolleyes: :rofl: :wacky:

did you mention model 2.0 comes with a paper shredder?

TheHound

Arachnoknight
My wife was a little creeped out (though very supportive) when I got my first, but she was excited when it had its first moult and does like watching me feed them. She will often detour in to see how they're doing before leaving the basement, and I'll hear her cooing at them from the other room, "Hello spiders, how are you" or talking to them a bit like she talks to the kids' guinea pigs. She has a slightly negative visceral reaction to them but ultimately has a scientific mind and also finds them interesting, and some like my versicolor sling (which I bought at her behest, not that my arm needed any twisting) to be beautiful and cute. Her main dislike now is leggy ones, especially big leggy ones (which doesn't bode too well with my male X immanis, but hopefully the eventual pretty colours will distract her enough to mitigate that). So not involved but very supportive and fairly interested. Couldn't ask for much more.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
My wife was a little creeped out (though very supportive) when I got my first, but she was excited when it had its first moult and does like watching me feed them. She will often detour in to see how they're doing before leaving the basement, and I'll hear her cooing at them from the other room, "Hello spiders, how are you" or talking to them a bit like she talks to the kids' guinea pigs. She has a slightly negative visceral reaction to them but ultimately has a scientific mind and also finds them interesting, and some like my versicolor sling (which I bought at her behest, not that my arm needed any twisting) to be beautiful and cute. Her main dislike now is leggy ones, especially big leggy ones (which doesn't bode too well with my male X immanis, but hopefully the eventual pretty colours will distract her enough to mitigate that). So not involved but very supportive and fairly interested. Couldn't ask for much more.
That's awesome!

ScaredOfThem

Arachnopeon
Finally talked my SO to allow me to bring a T in my hobby room!
This is exciting stuff after many weeks of conversations!
Congress finally acted!

I guess not I have to choose a species so that I can learn all about it and it's care prior to actually obtaining it.

Recommended me a colorful (nothing with brown included) species that stays colorful throughout its adult life.

This is my first T but I am ok with obtaining a species thats not Newby friendly.. Because before I get it.. I will study it and be prepared in all sides of husbandry.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Congress finally acted!

I guess not I have to choose a species so that I can learn all about it and it's care prior to actually obtaining it.

Recommended me a colorful (nothing with brown included) species that stays colorful throughout its adult life.

This is my first T but I am ok with obtaining a species thats not Newby friendly.. Because before I get it.. I will study it and be prepared in all sides of husbandry.
Use the Search function for keyword ‘Beginner’ and you should see a bunch of recommendations.

Recommend you don’t go too advanced, research is only part of the equation, real life scenarios are another ball game and you don’t want something that will land you in the hospital…avoid old world (OW) and stick to new world (NW). Even the slowest most docile T can give you a run for your money in a not so fun way. 👍

Solitaire

Arachnopeon
Congress finally acted!

Sounds like you’d be the perfect owner for a GBB…Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.