How Involved Are Your SO?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
How involved is your significant other or close person in your life with your passion for keeping tarantulas?

My partner isn’t invested a ton in in my T passion, but still supportive. Tonight we where looking at my T’s and took a whole lot of interest in the OBT. Of course, the one I had to remind was a ore medically significant ordeal. I was expecting an ear full on this, but it isn’t the first time I‘ve explained it. Never the less, the ear to ear grin I had explaining was pointed out.

I was super stoked to be able to share and have some reciprocation, or at least appreciation my passion.

snarf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My wife is very supportive of the collection and even has some of her own however she doesn't do anything with them aside from look at them I don't mind though just means I get to tend to them myself lol

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My wife is very supportive of the collection and even has some of her own however she doesn't do anything with them aside from look at them I don't mind though just means I get to tend to them myself lol
I’m the sole care taker. I get the occasional look, and a minute later it’s like peace out. 😆

8 legged

Arachnoprince
My wife tolerates the madness, my sons are interested, my daughter is fully involved.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
My man has a large collection at his and dabbles in breeding so fully supports my addiction 😁 my son is 7 n has 2 t's of his own and loves to tell people about our collection of t's and true spoods Latin names and their family given name ect 😊 all members of my family are fully supportive we are definitely a spider loving family 😁

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My SO is fully supportive of my passions, but is not involved as in having her own although like you @Craig73 she does love the Pterinochilus murinus and she even named her Carrot!. Ive heard her say “Hello Carrot” a few times walking into the bedroom. She likes the isopods and thinks they are cute. She will come look at whatever it is when I say “Come look! _____ is out! “

That’s about as involved as she is and I’m grateful most times for that because she’s my check and balance, without her check it would be easy to start more breeding projects of various arachnids and arthropods and collect more from outside. Just two days ago we agreed that we are at the limits of what I can do in our 1bdr apt lol. I may even down size a bit.

Her support is in the type that doesn’t let me run of the rails and become overwhelmed with the responsibility for caring for too much at once when I also have about 40 caudiciforms and 15 tropical plants to care for, some of which I have had longer than any arachnid. (Edit: oh and then the 10 native TX cacti I saved from construction site) She wants me to just be able to give every single life form in my care the utmost attention and care possible at all times, which ‘smaller’ numbers helps with that!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
My girlfriend will listen, look at them and nod while I announce the new revelations in the T room. She gets 100x more excited about a new Starbucks iced coffee cup even in the dead of winter. The fancy cup.. :lol: Like I've always said to others though.. "Can you imagine arguing over what spider you did or didn't get first? Or if you fed them without her around to see?" I think I've made my point..

I did manage to have her to help take a few hundred plastic deli cups apart so I could poke holes in them with a hot paper clip soldering iron jig.. (I guess if a spiderless cup is involved it's fun) And.. she did add the oak leaves to the cups for the Poecilotheria slings to hide in. It helped out a lot to get it all done that evening.

jc55

Arachnoknight
I do not have to worry about any opinion but my own but when i did,the wife was not interested but my daughter was and attended all the Repticon shows with me.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My husband is supportive. He picks up crickets for me every week (the pet store near his work is much more generous with their crickets than the ones closer to home). He also takes care of my collection when I'm out of town for an extended period, and is interested in new acquisitions or changes - or at least listens politely. My sons regard it as a rather peculiar hobby. They are semi-interested - and will bring friends over to see my collection - but have no interest in participating themselves. They are not particularly fond of the occasional cockroach or cricket that manages to escape and finds its way into their bedrooms or bathroom - but it does give me a good reason to tell them not to bring food to their rooms.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my gf will help me carry the slings when i buy em(only have one working arm) or drive me to pet store for a food run for my ts her main role is being my limiter (the voice of reason) :rofl:otherwise i would have an apartment full of ts along with a cat not a good combination

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
She is somewhere between tolerant and interested, but I do 100% of the care.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
My parents are like:

Me: Can I bring a dog?
Parents: No.
Me: Then, can I bring a cat?
Parents: No.
Me: Then, how about tarantulas, and scorpions, and some roaches?
Parents: Proceed.

My father, time to time, comes along to Reptile show with me.