How Involved Are Your SO?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Good!! I think I got lucky. Mine is very much “whatever makes you happy” so, as long as I’m not ruining our life savings or something, he’s happy. He just isn’t very big on owning pets in general
As long as I can still pay for date nights every week I’m in the clear.

Pro Tip - When the collection starts to increase and you wear glasses, have them wear your glasses and the blurred vision will distract from the ‘my gawd what the heck!’ shell shock. If you don’t wear glasses or they have similar vision have a Plan B ready.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
As long as I can still pay for date nights every week I’m in the clear.

Pro Tip - When the collection starts to increase and you wear glasses, have them wear your glasses and the blurred vision will distract from the ‘my gawd what the heck!’ shell shock. If you don’t wear glasses or they have similar vision have a Plan B ready.
We haven’t gone on an actual date in years 🤣 but he’d tell me to buy a $2500 animal if we had the money.

he’s a jerk sometimes but he supports the things I love

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.....................He just isn’t very big on owning pets in general
They're not really traditional pets. They don't take up much space, they don't make any noise, and they don't stink up your house. You don't have to walk them.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
They're not really traditional pets. They don't take up much space, they don't make any noise, and they don't stink up your house. You don't have to walk them.
His issue isn’t the effort that goes into having pets. It’s that he doesn’t like that we can’t go on a spur of the moment vacation for 3 weeks with most pets.
I’m not well versed in slings, I feed mine twice a week, so I’m unsure how long it’s safe to let them go. But overall he’s more tolerant of my tarantulas because we can dip for two weeks and they don’t just keel over and die

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Got it. I guess finding a friend who is willing to look after them while you're away could be challenging.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
If you dip out for long periods just put them in a purse or man bag and bring them along. You won’t believe all the comps you can get when you’re paying for something, digging around in the bag to find your wallet and placing the spoods on the counter/table will looking.

Durn, can’t find my Visa, do you take obt express?

ResinBomb

Arachnopeon
If you dip out for long periods just put them in a purse or man bag and bring them along. You won’t believe all the comps you can get when you’re paying for something, digging around in the bag to find your wallet and placing the spoods on the counter/table will looking.

Durn, can’t find my Visa, do you take obt express?
Just make them an emotion support T then you won't have to spend extras on pet fees and you can take them on the plane for free 🤣🤣🤣

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Just make them an emotion support T then you won't have to spend extras on pet fees and you can take them on the plane for free 🤣🤣🤣
I live in a city with the nearest major agricultural/farm areas 40 miles away. I walked into a restaurant last year in a neighboring city and it said guide animals/emotional pets for the restaurant includes pony’s! I laughed so hard it was a double take moment. I asked the GM and he said yup. :embarrassed:

soopersoop21

Arachnopeon
How involved is your significant other or close person in your life with your passion for keeping tarantulas?

My partner isn’t invested a ton in in my T passion, but still supportive. Tonight we where looking at my T’s and took a whole lot of interest in the OBT. Of course, the one I had to remind was a ore medically significant ordeal. I was expecting an ear full on this, but it isn’t the first time I‘ve explained it. Never the less, the ear to ear grin I had explaining was pointed out.

I was super stoked to be able to share and have some reciprocation, or at least appreciation my passion.
The cutest thing happened. I told my husband about the poor care one of my curly hairs had to endure at PetSmart. I told him they changed her bedding weekly. He was genuinely irate. He is literally is writing an email to the corporate office and doesn’t want to shop there anymore. It totally made my heart swell up because he is terrified of them, but is apparently gaining a hearty appreciation for them, if not love. AND he’s been lites I got to me when I tell him about them. I was so happy to see some progress. At first he said NO WAY. Can have a pet spider In The house. Now we have 3 ❤

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’m living the single life currently and I’ve had an girlfriend who was absolutely against it and was the reason why I left the hobby the first time (gave me an ultimatum, which later down the line I left her for) and then later down the line another girlfriend who was interested in them because I was (if that makes sense).

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I’m living the single life currently and I’ve had an girlfriend who was absolutely against it and was the reason why I left the hobby the first time (gave me an ultimatum, which later down the line I left her for) and then later down the line another girlfriend who was interested in them because I was (if that makes sense).
The second relationship is how a healthy relationship should be. Kudos for you for finding that.
My fiancé doesn’t care much for any pets. But he supports me in it. He listens to me talk about them and helps me out when he can. That is what’s important. I’d choose my T’s over him any day because I don’t play ultimatums.