How Involved Are Your SO?

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnoknight
My husband started it all when he impulse bought a scorpion a few years back, which at that time I was not involved in it's care, but ever since tarantulas came in to the picture I am in charge of most of it. I decide what species we get, what they need, what they eat, what their enclosures look like, and he pays for it, lol. We feed the bigger ones together because he enjoys the takedowns but I generally feed the slings myself. He has been tasked with all of the rehouses so far, something I'm hoping to change soon. He loves having them around and showing them off as much as I do, but as far as research and arachnoboards go that's all mine. My son unfortunately doesn't care much and doesn't think I need any more. Of course I don't need more but if I want more I will get more!

Jonathan6303

Arachnobaron
Why did she push you to get them, if she is more than willing to push them out the door too?? I didn't expect that.

Have you mentioned to her that model 2.0 is coming out, and her time is limited if she doesn't change? I would.
Your interesting

Introvertebrate

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Behind every successful man, there is a woman - and behind every unsuccessful man, there are two.

- Mark Twain

The Spider House

Arachnoknight
Never had a "SO" that really took any interest despite having a massive collection of Tarantulas.

I am pleased to say that has changed recently.

So much so that she has even gifted me my most favourite species of them all, and as of today, I now have a wonderful juvenile female Acanthoscurria geniculata in my family. She is called 'Narcissa' a name we both chose due to likeness of the black and white hair with Narcissa Malfoy (Harry Potter character) ha ha.

Thank you babes 💋

As I always say.... today is a good day, it's a genic pic day 😊
signal-2022-01-14-10-20-21-849.jpg

Craig73

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter +
@The Spider House Thats awesome! I feel like a dj at a radio station taking dedication requests. Love love stories 😍. Gorgeous genic. I don’t have one myself, maybe one day.

The Spider House

Arachnoknight
@The Spider House Thats awesome! I feel like a dj at a radio station taking dedication requests. Love love stories 😍. Gorgeous genic. I don’t have one myself, maybe one day.
A genic is a must my friend. I never really got over the death of my gorgeous big girl 'Genie' (over 8.5 inches and 25 years old when she passed last year) so the time now seems right for another baby girl to be in my life. She is going to be a very pampered spider. Ha ha

The SO knew the time was right and wanted to do this for me. She knows me well 😉

Craig73

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter +
My fiancé likes spiders aswell and has two of his own, i care for them though lol.
Ooh heck no, no dead beat keepers on our watch. 😂. Sounds like a pair of engraved tongs and chocolate covered crickets is in order for valentine’s day.

TheHound

Arachnosquire
Her main dislike now is leggy ones, especially big leggy ones (which doesn't bode too well with my male X immanis, but hopefully the eventual pretty colours will distract her enough to mitigate that).
She still doesn't like Westley - he embodies the things she hates most in spiders: he is leggy and fast. I tried again to emphasise how beautiful and purple he will become, but the fact that he will ultimately be leggy, fast and really big unfortunately outweighs the lovely colours for her. :lol:

She still coos at my other ones though, and admitted she finds the slings cute. She really likes my little versi sling in particular, but she acknowledges the GBB is a beautiful sling, and has a soft spot for my N chromatus, given he was 1st instar when we got him.

Craig73

Arachnodemon
Arachnosupporter +
She still doesn't like Westley - he embodies the things she hates most in spiders: he is leggy and fast.
LMAO, first take on this I was thinking you were talking about @Westicles 😆

I’m not a leg lover, but G. inheringi is my one exception.

extrovertinvert

Arachnopeon
My wife has nothing to do with them at all, except she likes to tell people about them and makes me show them off to anyone that comes to visit.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Never had a "SO" that really took any interest despite having a massive collection of Tarantulas.

I am pleased to say that has changed recently.

So much so that she has even gifted me my most favourite species of them all, and as of today, I now have a wonderful juvenile female Acanthoscurria geniculata in my family. She is called 'Narcissa' a name we both chose due to likeness of the black and white hair with Narcissa Malfoy (Harry Potter character) ha ha.

Thank you babes 💋

As I always say.... today is a good day, it's a genic pic day 😊
View attachment 408000
She's perfect babes 😘

We actually met because of ab 😉😁

HisBoswell

Arachnopeon
I got my first T for Christmas of 2020. Since then, the collection has been expanded up to 27. My wife was afraid of spiders when I got mine. But, every T afterward was her idea and purchase. She loves them.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Mine says he's indifferent but I know better. He'll pretend to play on his phone but really is watching me feed/water/rehouse/whatever.

He's slowly falling in love with inverts, even though he "hates" pets. He wants a mantis. So I guess we're getting a mantis.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnopeon
My partner has always had the 'I'm not stopping you' mentality unless I'm planning to put us in financial ruin (god damn X. sp Blue pair haha) .

She had absolutely ZERO interest in inverts, especially 'scary' / 'bitey' ones........so I made the plan to change this!
Ordered my T's and threw a P. wahlbergii (spiny flower mantis) into the order, something small, pretty, harmless and easily handled.
IT WORKED! "When you next get a T can I have a zebra mantis?".........of course you can ;) she's now had 5 over the last couple of years!

T time used to be ME time - "is that you away to feed them?" quickly turned into "can I watch you feed them?" and very soon after "don't feed them if I'm not around"

She is now really into having them in the house, just not up for dealing with them herself but more than happy to help me with rehousing / maintenance.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
My partner has always had the 'I'm not stopping you' mentality unless I'm planning to put us in financial ruin (god damn X. sp Blue pair haha) .

She had absolutely ZERO interest in inverts, especially 'scary' / 'bitey' ones........so I made the plan to change this!
Ordered my T's and threw a P. wahlbergii (spiny flower mantis) into the order, something small, pretty, harmless and easily handled.
IT WORKED! "When you next get a T can I have a zebra mantis?".........of course you can ;) she's now had 5 over the last couple of years!

T time used to be ME time - "is that you away to feed them?" quickly turned into "can I watch you feed them?" and very soon after "don't feed them if I'm not around"

She is now really into having them in the house, just not up for dealing with them herself but more than happy to help me with rehousing / maintenance.
Are mantids the gateway invert? We’re getting a Ghost Mantis and an Orchid Mantis just because my fiancé suddenly wants one out of nowhere. 😂

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnopeon
Are mantids the gateway invert? We’re getting a Ghost Mantis and an Orchid Mantis just because my fiancé suddenly wants one out of nowhere. 😂
Worked a charm for me hahaha my Mrs went from "no" to "oooohhhh pretty" in the space of a couple of weeks!

Last edited by a moderator:

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Worked a charm for me hahaha my Mrs went from "no" to "oooohhhh pretty" in the space of a couple of weeks!
Good!! I think I got lucky. Mine is very much “whatever makes you happy” so, as long as I’m not ruining our life savings or something, he’s happy. He just isn’t very big on owning pets in general