How I keep my dubia colony

kru008

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thought I'd share some tips and tricks on how I care for my dubia colony. So far they're all doing good and have exploded in population. I started out with about 100 from November 2009 and a few colonies and sub colonies coming from different people.

Note:
-They are kept at a constant 82-86° F during the day and 77-80° F during the night.
-My heat sources are all ambient. I use ceramic heaters to heat the whole "t-room."
-They are constantly fed with dried cat food replenished every day (if needed) and a constant supply of water gels. I also feed them high quality citrus and sweet fruits and green veggies as well as carrots that are thoroughly washed and properly cut to try to keep the food as spread out to the whole colony as much as possible.

Here is an old video on how I kept my colony when it was still below the 10 crate mark. Keep in mind that I measured the population size by the number of eggcrates needed to contain them without having a fight between the males for territory breaking out.

[YOUTUBE]5zF48o6anSg[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a more recent video with me upgrading the container because of the population explosion over the summer.

[YOUTUBE]vXznkCTipgA[/YOUTUBE]

NOTE:
-Males will become territorial once they mature and will fight and kill other males and sometimes nymphs as well. It can result into making the females go in hiding and will not eat or breed because of all the movement.
-Colony size should be measured with the amount of mouths that you have to feed. Their number can be controlled by dropping or increasing the temperature as well as the balance of citrus in their diet.

I hope this thread helped answered some questions.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
NOTE:
-Males will become territorial once they mature and will fight and kill other males and sometimes nymphs as well. It can result into making the females go in hiding and will not eat or breed because of all the movement.
I have never observed this. I must say that seems highly unlikely to me but I am open to the idea. Do you have or can you get video or photographic documentation of this?

Cheers,

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never observed this. I must say that seems highly unlikely to me but I am open to the idea. Do you have or can you get video or photographic documentation of this?

Cheers,
I have never seen them kill each other or a nymph but I have seen them fight. Males of other roach species, like Blaberus giganteus and Archimandrita tesselata, may also fight, in B. giganteus's case, to the point of ripping the weaker male's limbs off or killing him.

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer

Cheers,
I'd like to see someone catch it on film as well. I can contest that if I have more males than females I see several males chewed up, not dead just chewed on. All along their backs and wings but I've yet to catch them in the act. When I cull out some of the males the numbers drop of chewed up males but I've never caught anyone in the act of killing another one. I've also starting culling out the nymphs every so often keeping breeders and nymphs separate to help me keep track of feeders numbers. If I don't I end up feeding off way too many.

blash

Arachnopeon
Males are always hunting each other, trying to get each other away from the females.
I would say the ratio of dead males to dead adult females is 10:1 in my colony.
If you keep them dark 24/7 they will die even quicker. I guess they are just exhausted.....
Thats why i always try to feed off males, never females. ;)

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
About how much do you spend a month on food for a tub of those roaches?
Any recommended supplier of large egg flats?

Last edited: