How high is too high for arboreal slings?

Skulnik

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a great snap-lock container for when my 1/2-inch A. Versicolor outgrows his vial, but it's more than 12" high.

It's only about 4"x3" on the ground, but is 12" too high?

Whudya think?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would graduate it into something like this and then into the cage you have ready.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
How big will the sling be when it outgrows its vial? (How big is the vial).

-Sean

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
something crazy would have to happen for an arboreal sling to be damaged in a 12" fall. even semi-arboreals can fall a cool couple feet and land on fairly unforgiving stuff without damage.

what would concern me with a spider that small in a container that big is that you will lose it in there.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they have these jars at WalMart similar to Brian S's enclosure ^^

work really well and are damn cheap.

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well if you are speaking on terms of what is so high that the spider would injure itself on a fall, then I would say taller than any jar you whip out. An arboreal sling could take a fall to substrate in any of the largest 'spider dens' I own. They are incredibly light and agile, they get some good air in jumps anyways. They arent as fragile as the terrestrials.

I use containers that are thin and as tall as 4-8 inches for arboreal slings. Certainly not vials by any means.

Now if you are talking about optimal height for thier living preference, well thats up to you.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep, for your 1.5" sling is too high, I would advise you to put it in a smaller container, maybe 4" or 5" high.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a great snap-lock container for when my 1/2-inch A. Versicolor outgrows his vial, but it's more than 12" high.

It's only about 4"x3" on the ground, but is 12" too high?

Whudya think?
I'm sure someone has already answered your question, but I'm going to answer it anyway. Yes, I believe an enclosure 12" high is WAY too tall for a 1/2" versicolor.

A large enclosure means it will be harder for the sling to find food, which is fine since tarantulas can go a very long time without eating. However, you're probably going to end up with a lot of little crickets who just died of starvation. Dead prey is the last thing you need in a versicolors habitat since they need a very humid environment to thrive and dead prey+humidity=mold. That's just one of many reasons why I would definitely reccommend against having a huge cage for a tiny sling.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As for the fall itself ,I think that the nature of the ground where they land is a more crucial factor than the heigh of the fall. Spiders have suvived high falls on moss or thick carpets, others bursted dead after falling inches on a hard surface!