How have you interests evolved over time since you entered the hobby?

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
When I first entered the hobby I was immediately interested in large, fast growing, hairy tarantulas like Lasiodora and Theraphosa species. I also was most interested in species that were 'unique' or not as well known as some of the so-called hobby classics. Now that I've been in the hobby for a few years, I'm starting to become much more interested in some of the more well known hobby staples like Brachypelmas, Grammostolas, etc that I'd previously overlooked. I know that at first a lot of beginners are attracted to the most colorful tarantulas, aspire to keep OWs, etc. I'm just curious how everyone's tastes have changed over time and with experience.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
When I first got into the hobby, it was simple. I kept a single tarantula, Aphonopelma seemanni that I found in a pet shop. My son wanted it, my mom never allowed a tarantula in the house. We had Terri for about 9 years. Great spider, beautiful pet.

Returning to the hobby and it’s been a lot of fun. Raising slings and researching species.

There’s not a lot of products made specifically for keeping spiders and invertebrates in general...so lots of hands on builds. Great hobby...it has changed so much since my first go.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Started with the typical new world terrestrial.
Developed an interest in old world fossorials.
Fell in love with baboons... Still my absolute favorites.
Started raising for breeding purposes this year.

I'm now slowly getting into old world arboreals.

My first t at nine was a rose hair.
My latest is an h-Mac.

Last edited:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
When I first got into the hobby, it was simple. I kept a single tarantula, Aphonopelma seemanni that I found in a pet shop. My son wanted it, my mom never allowed a tarantula in the house. We had Terri for about 9 years. Great spider, beautiful pet.

Returning to the hobby and it’s been a lot of fun. Raising slings and researching species.

There’s not a lot of products made specifically for keeping spiders and invertebrates in general...so lots of hands on builds. Great hobby...it has changed so much since my first go.
I also really enjoy that aspect of the hobby. It's always a blast to get creative and design new setups!

Minty

@londontarantulas
Started off only wanting terrestrials, mistakenly thinking arboreals would be a pain to keep. Started off thinking I’d never bother with slings due to fragility.
With more experience I wanted to keep lots of different species. At present I’m looking to slowly reduce my collection by selling a few.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Started off only wanting terrestrials, mistakenly thinking arboreals would be a pain to keep. Started off thinking I’d never bother with slings due to fragility.
With more experience I wanted to keep lots of different species. At present I’m looking to slowly reduce my collection by selling a few.
How many are in your collection right now?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Started 10 years ago casually keeping a few scorpions. Found the Dark Den on YT 7 years later and started keeping T's. Branched out from there to trapdoors, wishbones, funnelwebs and more

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Started about 2 years ago with a T vagan’s then he matured and died shortly after I do not know why he was a great tarantula. Then got into faster arboreal P cambridgei had him for about a year and 2 months then sold him for a breeding. And now Towned down a little to 2 C versicolor slings after returning the P Metallica I bought thinking it would be ok with me and finding out what it could do to my poor cat and sisters. My two versicolors are about as cute as they get one boltier then the other.

ignithium

Arachnoknight
Started off just keeping scorpion. Went on spider binge collecting huge amount of tarantula and true spider for a few years before i realised that i hate slings and don't enjoy most spider at all (except for sicariidae). Now im keeping again 90% scorpion and centipede and enjoy it much more.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Have started getting more OW’s. Mostly because I got girlfriend into the hobby and she’s growing her collection (more new worlds). Nothing much has really changed other than getting older and more grumpy.

RadicalSquire7

Arachnosquire
Have started getting more OW’s. Mostly because I got girlfriend into the hobby and she’s growing her collection (more new worlds). Nothing much has really changed other than getting older and more grumpy.
Lol

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I’m with @Colorado Ts. I love getting to make tools and especially my own enclosures. Watching slings grow is something I’ve grown to like more and more as opposed to just wanting adults in the beginning.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I’m with @Colorado Ts. I love getting to make tools and especially my own enclosures. Watching slings grow is something I’ve grown to like more and more as opposed to just wanting adults in the beginning.
I wish that attitude was more prevalent down here in Aus. In the last 18 months it's becoming harder and harder to sell slings. Admittedly there's a few i refuse to buy as slings having raised 2 P.Strennus to adulthood and both turning male, but majority now wont even buy rare specimens simply because "they arent big enough"

fried rice

Arachnoknight
My dolichothele diamantinensis is my first and only tarantula. I got dolichothele diamantinensis not because of color, but because they have no urticating hair. Im scared of urticating hair, but im trying to stop being scared of it. When I lose my fear of urticating hair im going to get lots of grammostola, brachypelma, and tliltocatl species.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
My dolichothele diamantinensis is my first and only tarantula. I got dolichothele diamantinensis not because of color, but because they have no urticating hair. Im scared of urticating hair, but im trying to stop being scared of it. When I lose my fear of urticating hair im going to get lots of grammostola, brachypelma, and tliltocatl species.
I’ve been haired. It’s not bad. Unless you’re super sensitive too it. The likelihood of getting haired is super rare too. You basically have to do something stupid like I did. Once during a rehouse. And another time not wearing gloves when changing substrate. Not my brightest moments.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
It’s really not something that happens much. I’ve had a couple kick quickly but never had any effects I could notice. Rehousing is the only time I’d anticipate it happening. You could easily put some gloves on and even cover your face if you were worried.
Not to say you couldn’t get a specimen that does it frequently but pretty scarce IME

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Same here. At first I really didn't want to get slings because I saw them as being too fragile and not as interesting, but now I'm really enjoying raising them from slings. It's so satisfying to watch them grow and change with each molt.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I’ve been haired. It’s not bad. Unless you’re super sensitive too it. The likelihood of getting haired is super rare too. You basically have to do something stupid like I did. Once during a rehouse. And another time not wearing gloves when changing substrate. Not my brightest moments.
I have skin allergies and eczema, but oddly enough have almost no reaction to the urticating hairs. The only one that seems to irritate my skin is my T. stirmi. I still wear gloves and eye protection whenever I'm doing major maintenance, though, because I don't want to develop sensitivities over time. I guess it really is individual to each person.

Hi all
When I started I was into large terrestrial species.I started with adult(sub adult)females as didn't have confidence for dealing with slings.
Now Im in love with my tyni slings and recently developed a taste for the so called dwarf(smaller) species of tarantulas
Regards Konstantin

Cemykay

Arachnosquire
I started a year ago, only wanting adult females. Now i actually enjoy seeing my slings molt and grow not knowing their sex. Dwarf/smaller tarantulas are super interesting aswell!