How good is this hobby?

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
I know this sounds weird when you put it like that, but how much does collecting spiders say about you?

I'm building my first Curriculum and it seems prety common to list your hobbys and interests. Since when you get out of school you dont really have much job experience to show, you kind of have to convince through your overall profile. I guess it's not the most relevant thing, but it's there you know?
It is known that Tarantutulas are not seen as common pets, at least around here, so there's the surprise factor... It also shows dedication, fearlessness (is that a word?) and caution. On the other hand, society is still prety closed in certain ways and I believe our hobby, being unpopular, doesn't get much love. So I fear that people might think I'm crazy for keeping cute, big spiders as pets.

So what do you think? Should one list it? How good would it be? Would it even be relevant at all?
Overall what's your experience about other people's opinions on our hobby?

Last edited:

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
Since the skill set is not obvious to people who don't keep Ts, you would probably need some sort of elaborate explanation as to how keeping Ts has improved/shaped your personality for the better. A curriculum or CV is better short, precise and relevant.

Remember employers are looking for information in your CV that they think will added value to their company. They might go through hundreds or thousands of CV/applicants for one job/position. You talking about your taboo animals might not create the impression you want.

If I was you I'd rather try get some part time work, freelance, internship work on my CV.

The more experience and qualifications you gain the less and less hobbies(and other 'fluff') you put on your CV.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I agree with @BossRoss. I worked as a hiring manager for years and looked for reasons to weed out resumes because there were so many. I often found information about hobbies to be irrelevant and sometimes strange. Once someone wrote "I love to workout and make my body strong and sweaty" under the hobby part of the resume. I thought that was hilarious, totally weird, and ultimately did not even call that candidate. Many people are very disturbed by this hobby and have no idea that it requires a lot of research and patience to keep these animals. Keep it focused on your educational achievements and relevant experience.

If I may offer some extra advice: check your resume for typos. Sounds like a no brainier but I often saw resumes with typos and terrible formatting, which made me automatically put it in the no pile. It often helps to have a friend look over it in case they catch something you overlooked.

Good luck!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
As others have said, I would not bother as it is not likely to help much. Good luck on the job hunt.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I know this sounds weird when you put it like that, but how much does collecting spiders say about you?

I'm building my first Curriculum and it seems prety common to list your hobbys and interests. Since when you get out of school you dont really have much job experience to show, you kind of have to convince through your overall profile. I guess it's not the most relevant thing, but it's there you know?
It is known that Tarantutulas are not seen as common pets, at least around here, so there's the surprise factor... It also shows dedication, fearlessness (is that a word?) and caution. On the other hand, society is still prety closed in certain ways and I believe our hobby, being unpopular, doesn't get much love. So I fear that people might think I'm crazy for keeping cute, big spiders as pets.

So what do you think? Should one list it? How good would it be? Would it even be relevant at all?
Overall what's your experience about other people's opinions on our hobby?
For a profession I head hunt IT Security professionals ( not to kill ) but to place with my clients all over the country, so this means I spend ALOT of time using arachnoboards and searching for the ideal candidates! :)

I read literally 100's of CV's weekly and can tell you that although I find Hobbies and Interests something good to read to judge the culture fit etc for the individual. My honest advise would be to not list it, your right with your assumption that it could get a negative response. I would save details of these things off your CV to prevent that either being a motive or even a contribution for a hiring manager etc to close the door on your application.

Save that kind of conversation topic etc for when you have your foot in the door at an interview (should the talk take that avenue), I kept all of my hobbies/pets and details around them to myself until my bum was firmly on a seat in the office! I didn't want something important and interesting to me yet 'crazy' to someone else jeopardize my chances of having a job. + its great for several months to pass and then you get hit with the 'soo.... do you have any interesting hobbies or pets' question and you tell them you have numerous snakes/lizards/scorpions and Tarantulas around your house that you have a passion and interest to care for :)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Throw this in there,

"Able to adapt to situations quickly as well as changes in policy."

does wonders in my resume.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
You can say something like...
I enjoy engaging in hobbies that enable me to broaden my knowledge of different eco-systems and allow me to have mutually beneficial relationships with other organisms.