how fast do they run

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a sub adult female g rosea, when she runs, it give me the eebi jeebies. I am going to purchase a sling soon, how fast do they run?
Certain outdoor spiders run real fast, it is comparable to that or is does it run quite slow because it is a small T?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
slings can often be faster than they are as mature adults

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'd have to agree. Most of my slings are faster than the adults. They are often more easily startled also.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fast - yes - but short duration.

when working with them I used to have a large space then tank inside large container... so any runaway had to go somewhere in the bigger one and could be caught when winded.... worked on all but almost foiled by a lightning fast Usumbara... got rid of that one quickly!(traded, nothing worse)
just remember small s'lings can fit into very small spaces... be sure work area is free of such niches.

chilean

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow

That video sooooooooooooooooo gave me the EEBI JEEBIES!!! I think it freeked out the guy as well.
My T ran on the table once, and sounded like that too, but didn't run so fast or far. I also watched some more videos on youtube (no wonder some Ts get aggressive, wouldn't you if you'd get poke by a stick!!!)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
has anyone clocked them? Michael Jacobi was saying that the fastest tarantulas (and he would know!) are Australian tarantulas that recently came in.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there are some tarantulas out there that make a chilean rose look like its standing still!!!

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fast T

Our fastest T has got to be our 1 inch P.iriminia, wow this guy is a just a blur inside his tank when he runs. We dread the day he has to be moved. :eek:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read that they can reach 8-10 km/h while some can top 25 when bursting toward a prey. This over a few inch, but still spectacular.

Solifugids are the top champions of arthropods with 16 km/h on pretty longer streches!

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd be interested in knowingthe top speeds for tarantulas too.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm almost positive none break 30" per second. some sort of land speed record for inverts is held by some Scutigeramorpha centipede that could do 22" per second.

what makes spiderlings crazy to deal with is that they can do pretty close to 20" per second, but make turns on less than a dime and go from zero to full speed to zero in a second. for me it is not so much the top speed (which my hands can beat) but the absolute agility the bugs move with that makes them interesting.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My fastest at the moment has to be one of my two P. cancerides. They are lightning fast @ 1.75", and as mentioned...can move like no other when it comes to fake outs, jukes, and other escape tactics. My others are all pretty fast too, but not like these guys...they make me start sweating when I think of transfers, or cage maintenance...but so far so good, no escapee's I couldn't catch within a few seconds.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I have a sub adult female g rosea, when she runs, it give me the eebi jeebies. I am going to purchase a sling soon, how fast do they run?
Certain outdoor spiders run real fast, it is comparable to that or is does it run quite slow because it is a small T?
Honestly, I don't think any of my tarantulas can rival a Tegenaria sp. in speed. Many true spiders are much faster. So if you are used to the speed of the 'outdoor spiders' (what species?) a sling shouldn't be any trouble for you.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fast turns

Yeah, I think its the turn-on-a-dime and zip off in another direction, that is most challenging with the slings. Combine the turning rate, and the speed, and it can be a challengs to keep track of em. If youve ever seen one doing laps around a deli cup, changing direction, can be almost a blur.