how fast do g. pulchripes sling grow at room temp?

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Yeah, pinheads are a pain in the butt. It can be hard to find a store that carries them, and even harder to work with them without losing/killing them.

What I suggest is that you just cut the abdomen off of a medium or large crichet and feed that instead. Since its already dead, your T will be able to safely eat a peice that is much larger than what you would use as live prey. Plus there is much more nutrition in a large crickets abdomen than there is in a whole pinhead.
Also, since slings molt so often, its much safer to leave a prekilled item in there overnight in case your sling molts suddenly.

You can also cut the abdomen up into quaters feed about 4 slings with one large cricket, and since pinheads cost the same as adults, you are spending 1/4 the money per feeding. If you just have that one sling, you will still be spending the same amount, but she will be getting alot more nutrition with each meal.
And don't worry about them refusing dead prey, they will take it everytime. I've beeing doing this with all my slings for a couple years and never had any problems. Now that I've been doing this, I can't see why anyone would ever buy pinheads, it just doesn't make any sense.

Give it a try, I hope this helps you :)
thats not always true some T's wont take prekilled items i've been trying that with my 1/4" inch b smithi sling since october and it just wont do it it wont it newborn roach nymphs either i think some T's can be picky eater cause that tarantula only eats pinheads

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Got a lot of Ts (116 to be exact) and 4 of them are chacos. 3 were bought as 1/2 inchers (2 female, 1 male) in 2008 and 2'' juvie female was bought in 2007.

Currently, The 2 inch juvie is now a 5'' subadult female, while the 1/2 inchers are in 3-3.5 inch mark with feedings once every 2 weeks with room controlled temperatures. They are a faster growing than G.rosea (I have a 1/2 inch specimen doubled in size in 2 years)

Good beginner, but they're not very docile as they people claimed to be...Like most Grammostolas (especially rosea); they are unpredictable and at times, very moody. Most of my 4 have thrown threat displays and my juvenile nearly bit me without provocation when I attempted to handle her.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
thats not always true some T's wont take prekilled items i've been trying that with my 1/4" inch b smithi sling since october and it just wont do it it wont it newborn roach nymphs either i think some T's can be picky eater cause that tarantula only eats pinheads
If they won't take it when left overnight, try again in a couple days. I know what you mean though, I've had a couple slings that initially wouldn't eat prekilled, but eventually they get hungry and will give it a try. A healthy T will not let itself starve to death if there is a source of nutrition nearby.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
size doesn't mean anything as far as gender goes especially as slings they can have growth spurts so to speak also a bald spot doesn't mean premolt it means it's been kicking or rubbing it's U hairs off dark abdomen means premolt also lol it seems to pretty much happen that why about 17 of my 21 went into premolt the same week and molted within 3 days of each other
I know but its an Avic.....And its really dark so i know its in premolt

Lolita

Arachnoknight
If they won't take it when left overnight, try again in a couple days. I know what you mean though, I've had a couple slings that initially wouldn't eat prekilled, but eventually they get hungry and will give it a try. A healthy T will not let itself starve to death if there is a source of nutrition nearby.
i tried it i think it's just stubborn i think it secretly just wants me to buy it shiny new food every week instead of eating out of my freakin 2,000 roach colony like every else maybe it thinks it deserves special treatment or something :p

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I know but its an Avic.....And its really dark so i know its in premolt
avics have U hairs too they just rub them off although i believe versicolors can kick hairs, anyways the point i was making was just that bald doesn't mean premolt dark means premolt i've had a bald B boehmei for 3 months thats just starting to go into premolt

Tremors

Arachnopeon
I received a G. pulchripes as a freebie and now it's about a 1/2" long. It's a neat little T and is very personable, always wanting to come out of it's container and walk around. I keep mine a little warmer than room temperature - somewhere around the late 70's and a tad on the humid side. I've had it nearly two months and it finally had it's first molt with me about a week ago.

I raise scorpions and don't have much experience with tarantulas but G. pulchripes is definitely a great little T.