How fast did you accumulate tarantulas? Etc.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
It has been a dad / daughter project since its inception. Build up: slowly. Started 13 years ago with just one. A couple years later added 2 more because a cute little girl, with a handful of cash asking for a deal on a GBB is entertaining. Then started working shows, got to a decent amount (around 30) and I actually have reduced the numbers. I hooked a buddy up with my marshalli (she has already mated since then) and was using my darlingi as the model for my terrarium lids and a young woman fell in love with her. IMO people of late go too sling crazy and haven't properly visualized how much room large numbers of adult Ts take up. All the more so when they are larger species that need bigger enclosures. Some folks are gonna freak when they realize they need a bigger place or entire room for their collections
That's awesome. My dad did some similar for me with fish tanks when he found out how fascinated I was with them. Lots of special, fond memories. Your daughter will always remember it. It's amazing when parents nurture their kids' interests like this.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
That's awesome. My dad did some similar for me with fish tanks when he found out how fascinated I was with them. Lots of special, fond memories. Your daughter will always remember it. It's amazing when parents nurture their kids' interests like this.
She was 5 and said "Daddy I want a spider" and I said to myself "little girl wants creepy crawly, little girl gets creepy crawly" she learned some biology, some latin and is now 18 and a fixture at the SoCal shows. Glad you had that moment as well.
It's good from both parent, and kids place in the equation. I have been fortunate to have done both sides (different interests) as well:)

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
She was 5 and said "Daddy I want a spider" and I said to myself "little girl wants creepy crawly, little girl gets creepy crawly" she learned some biology, some latin and is now 18 and a fixture at the SoCal shows. Glad you had that moment as well.
It's good from both parent, and kids place in the equation. I have been fortunate to have done both sides (different interests) as well:)
Believe it or not, I think that when I went to a show when I lived in San Diego, I may have met your daughter! It was about 2 years ago I believe. I may be wrong, but she may have helped me pick out a P. regalis that turned out to be a female and one of my favorite spiders. If I'm remembering correctly, it's a small world!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
IMO people of late go too sling crazy and haven't properly visualized how much room large numbers of adult Ts take up. All the more so when they are larger species that need bigger enclosures. Some folks are gonna freak when they realize they need a bigger place or entire room for their collections
^This ^This ^This

i feel like it shouldn’t be as big of a thing as it is, but it is. It’s not so daunting when you have 20-30 slings, but 20 adults that are non dwarfs take up considerable room, no way around that. Everything you buy you should already know how you’re going to fit a full sized enclosure into your living space, not how are you going to fit this deli-cup in, and figure it out later 😬

Craig73

Arachnoangel
^This ^This ^This

i feel like it shouldn’t be as big of a thing as it is, but it is. It’s not so daunting when you have 20-30 slings, but 20 adults that are non dwarfs take up considerable room, no way around that. Everything you buy you should already know how you’re going to fit a full sized enclosure into your living space, not how are you going to fit this deli-cup in, and figure it out later 😬
I know this guy that has a cool solution to fix space issues. He was gone for a hot minute, but think he’s back now. Hmmmmm, his name is slipping my mind at the moment.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I know this guy that has a cool solution to fix space issues. He was gone for a hot minute, but think he’s back now. Hmmmmm, his name is slipping my mind at the moment.
Oh yeah who was that again!?? Adjustable shevles? Endless possibilities?? Must have been important!! Hrmmm

hahah glad to be back! How are you’re shelves holding up?

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Oh yeah who was that again!?? Adjustable shevles? Endless possibilities?? Must have been important!! Hrmmm

hahah glad to be back! How are you’re shelves holding up?
They’re amazing. I haven’t even used them all yet, so getting small plants to add some additional vibe to the space.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
They’re amazing. I haven’t even used them all yet, so getting small plants to add some additional vibe to the space.
Sounds perfect to me! I bet it looks great with the plants!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Sounds perfect to me! I bet it looks great with the plants!
For sure. I have another round of rehouses to do and once reorganized I’ll update my diary pics…like I said I‘d do last time but never did. 🤥. I’m starting to get into big boy territory with several that are 3 - 4.5” T’s. 🤩

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For sure. I have another round of rehouses to do and once reorganized I’ll update my diary pics…like I said I‘d do last time but never did. 🤥. I’m starting to get into big boy territory with several that are 3 - 4.5” T’s. 🤩
That’s exciting!! Good luck on the rehouses!! Look forward to seeing the update!

courtney1027

Arachnosquire
I started in September and I have 9 tarantulas and one on pre order. I have 1 adult, 2 juveniles and the rest are slings. I think I think I got them at a steady pace but I made sure I was educated on how big they were going to all get and made sure I was going to have the space to house them all when they are adults. I like having my 9 there’s usually one out or doing something so I always get to see them and they bring me a lot of happiness and have helped me overcome my arachnophobia. I think as long as your educated and prepared getting a couple is ok.
Please note I live in Australia so there isn’t as many over here and they are all old worlds I think if I was in the US I would have a massive problem 🤣

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Believe it or not, I think that when I went to a show when I lived in San Diego, I may have met your daughter! It was about 2 years ago I believe. I may be wrong, but she may have helped me pick out a P. regalis that turned out to be a female and one of my favorite spiders. If I'm remembering correctly, it's a small world!
was probably her and for some reason she is the T sexing whisperer. Somehow she can find female slings at a weird rate. If you were helped by a female teen 2 years ago at a Show in So Cal, most likely it was her. Small and awesome world

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I started in September and I have 9 tarantulas and one on pre order. I have 1 adult, 2 juveniles and the rest are slings. I think I think I got them at a steady pace but I made sure I was educated on how big they were going to all get and made sure I was going to have the space to house them all when they are adults. I like having my 9 there’s usually one out or doing something so I always get to see them and they bring me a lot of happiness and have helped me overcome my arachnophobia. I think as long as your educated and prepared getting a couple is ok.
Please note I live in Australia so there isn’t as many over here and they are all old worlds I think if I was in the US I would have a massive problem 🤣
if you accumulated 9 in 2-3 months that is a quick, but steady pace. Nothing wrong with it, but that's a couple dozen a year if you maintained it

Semoglia

Arachnopeon
I currently have 28. I got my first several years ago an avic. Didnt know enough and lost her. So I waited about 5 years and now its been a solid year since i got my first. I waited 6 months and got an OW as a mystery. I love them and think Im close to my limit. As long as no m.balfouris go on sale lol. I want a communal as my next adventure. I have 5 OW and the 23 new worlds. Most are still slings.

Ancistrus

Arachnopeon
The grass always seems greener on the other side. I live in the US, but if I lived in Australia, I would be up to my neck collecting venomous snakes, lizards, trapdoors,… oh my, the list just goes on and on...

Gutz323

Arachnopeon
Started my collection in October 2020. My first T was a juvi G. Pulchra, a couple weeks later I purchased 4 slings, a T. Albo- a G. Pulcripes- an L. Klugi and an N. Chromatus. A month later I bought an adult female T. Albo. January this year (got some vouchers for xmas) I bought a B. Hamorii juvi, and an adult female A. Chalcodes. In June I bought a C. Versicolor sling and in August I bought a GBB sling and was given an N. Caropoensis Freeby. So that is 11 tarantulas at the moment, I am happy with my modest collection and don't think It will be getting too much bigger for a while, it's not that I don't have the room (I have plenty) but there is so much to learn and enjoy from what I already have. The only thing I might purchase, maybe in the new year or spring time is something a little more spicy, not necessarily an old world, but something intermediate, maybe a Psalmopoeus or something, I am not sure yet. Maybe I will post on AB with any suggestions nearer the time.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How many Ts do you have?

38 at present.

How long after your first T did it take you to get your second (or more)?

My first tarantula purchase, after a long hiatus, was four slings. I only waited 9 or 10 weeks to buy five more. I was fascinated, and made several purchases within a year. At the moment I have 38, although two of them have hooked out in the last few months. I doubt I'll be buying more until that number decreases a little bit. I don't regret buying any of them, but I think in the future I'll probably keep the number under 30.

How long did it take you do get your first OW tarantula, and what was it? (assuming your first T wasn't an OW, but if it was, I still wanna hear about it!)

I don't have any OW. I do have one Linothele sericata (formerly megatheloides), which isn't technically a tarantula, but aside from that all of mine are NW.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Nearing three years keeping, in the 40s as far as numbers. First old world after a year or so, which was a Chilobrachys fimbriatus. He is now a mature male and I have other old worlds, but I keep more new worlds overall. I had picked up adult Ts and slings at that point, so I knew my basics plus had some hands on. No issues whatsoever. I actually have a few more Chilobrachys now, huahini, dyscolus, and electric blue. I’ve grown fond of them and have found them to be straight forward and pretty. One of my favorite genera I’ve kept so far aside from Psalmopoeus.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
IMO people of late go too sling crazy and haven't properly visualized how much room large numbers of adult Ts take up. All the more so when they are larger species that need bigger enclosures. Some folks are gonna freak when they realize they need a bigger place or entire room for their collections
agreed. I didn’t start truly getting a larger collection until I had a t room. People don’t realize you will not be comfortable with 50 or even 20 adult enclosures in your bedroom, it takes up a lot of space. And all the empty enclosures you grab second hand or accumulate after rehousing, good lord I may be able to fill a bedroom with those alone 🤣