How does Petco get their WC T's?

dman13760

Arachnosquire
I've never purchased a T from Petco, but I hear that often times their adult Ts are WC. Was just curious, if that is the case, how does Petco get these Ts? Do they buy their Ts from a 3rd party who collects them from the wild? Maybe someone on the boards has worked there or knows someone who has.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I actually worked there for a short time when I was about eighteen, in the reptile department.
There was a binder with what you could order.
I'm pretty sure there was a collection of different third party sellers.
I can't speak for now, though.

Stormsinger

Arachnopeon
I believe they buy them in bulk from a wholesaler. That's how most animals that are either too much effort to breed (people expect to see a big spider when they go to Petco to buy a tarantula, not a tiny sling that takes years to grow) or are not commonly bred in captivity like iguanas and savanna monitors end up in stores. The process involved in getting wild caught animals from their point of origin, to pet stores for people to buy is not a nice one.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
They find the cheapest thing the can mark up and sell. What do they care where it came from or how it does after it leaves the store. As long as they think it will live the 14 day guarantee( or whatever length) they’re happy

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
There is no shortage of people importing wild caught tarantulas. There is likely a wholesaler who deals in all manner of animals - snakes, lizards, amphibians, tarantulas, scorpions, centipedes, maybe even small mammals - who has a direct connection with a supplier in the country of origin and gets them at the cheapest price possible. There is also no shortage of people in the exporting countries who make almost no money who will go out and collect these animals daily to sell to the exporter to feed their families.
And all of this happens for one reason and one reason only - there is no shortage of people who buy them.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
they have some on stock @ HQ. Because sales are slow for them they tend to wind up aging there, so SubAdults and Adults are more common. They also have some breeders they purchase from a s well. They tend to move slower at retail outlets so they age in the cases as well. I never buy them there but Petco is a client of mine (I am a graphic designer) and I helped one of their staff choosing from what they had. She wound up with a nice Juvenile Smithii / Hamorrii