How do......

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do scorpions molt as opposed to the method of a tarantula or spider? I have never seen the actual process unfold only the remains of the shed. Just looking for education.:)

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Their exoskeleton splits from the front toward the telson along the dorsal(top) surface and they basically just 'walk' out of their old exoskeleton.

They new exoskeleton takes several hours to several days(as with tarantulas) to harden depending on the size of the animal. During this time they are vunerable to injury from food items and others of their species if kept communally. When they first emerge from their old exoskeleton they will be white to almost white and darken as the new exoskeleton hardens.

John
];')

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kugellager, with that in mind, do you do anything different for freshly molted scorps in your communal setups? Or, do you leave them in there and leave it up to chance?

Bry

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Usually the only way I know someone has molted is that I see the exuvium and a larger scorp...I have never actually witnessed a molt...In person.

John
];')

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I can field this one. I generaly do not remove them. After I lost one of my H.spinifer after a moult, though, I seperated another one out and then reintroduced her later on when she had hardened. She got munched a couple months later anyhow, though. I then figured out that my one big female attacks other females once she is gravid. Now I only have her and the big male together, as he seems ot handle his own.

Cheers,
Dave