How do your arachnids show their cleverness?

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Sometimes they do seem smarter than we think, don't they? We can't really tell what's going on inside their minds, but it is fun to try and make sense of their behavior. What's the unusual or clever seeming things your arachnid buddies have done?

I always have the haunting feeling my Damon d. Benji knows too much. Especially that one night he was knocking on the glass door of his enclosure with his spiky arms. He knows. Oh god.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I try to feed my Damon diadema when they aren't hungry, they will sometimes stalk the cricket and they flick it away quickly with their pedipalps, often repeating this several times. The movement appears quite different from a near miss. It seems almost as though they want to scare the cricket away so it doesn't annoy them anymore.
I remove the cricket when they act like this, as I have learned that if I do not, the whips will eventually kill it and discard it. No sense in letting the cricket go to waste.

As you said, we can't tell what sort of processing occurs in their tiny 'minds', but it is fun to try.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
My Heterophrynus bates definitely knows the layout of her enclosure (without being able to see!), has specific hide spots that she uses more often than others, and explores more for a little while when I change the layout of the terrarium. And yet still has no clue who I am...

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
Oh I love watching jumpers just as much as they love watching me. Once there was a zebra one that got lost in the kitchen, just as I got close to it it turned around and looked at me like "Welp, here comes the giant". I took some pictures of it with my camera but I don't have a macro lens yet so many of them didn't turn out that well. A shame because on one pic it was looking up right at the camera! They're the cutest things.

When I try to feed my Damon diadema when they aren't hungry, they will sometimes stalk the cricket and they flick it away quickly with their pedipalps, often repeating this several times. The movement appears quite different from a near miss. It seems almost as though they want to scare the cricket away so it doesn't annoy them anymore.
I remove the cricket when they act like this, as I have learned that if I do not, the whips will eventually kill it and discard it. No sense in letting the cricket go to waste.
"Get out of my sight!" *tries to scare cricket away* :D

Unrelated but reminds me when I opened Benjis enclosure to mist and he was like moving his body up and down pointing his spiky arms at me. The little man was threatening me :happy:

Last edited:

Ghoul

Arachnosquire
So I decided to let Benji roam free on my table.
This little guy is incredibly determined to get to places. Once he wants to go somewhere it's hard to get him off track because he will try squish his way through. Like he always really wants to climb onto my back, doing the splits and squishin through my fingers. Man, he looks flimsy but he's quite strong haha. So when I let him walk on my table he really wanted to see my gems up close, walked onto a gemstone, scared himself and slipped into the box, silly little guy. Here's a pic of him exploring my table

I also let my mother hold him for a bit, he seemed rather scared not moving at all. Then I put my hand next to hers and as soon as he touched it with his whips he moved onto my hand. Not gonna lie, that was really cute. :embarrassed:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female B. albiceps has learned how to open and close her cage door. I check on her at night before I go to bed and she is locked away all safe and sound and when I check on her in the morning sure enough, there she is, all locked up snug and secure. The only explanation I can find for it is that she has mastered the art opening and closing the door. Its either that or teleportation and that's just plain silly for a tarantula.

Tigrosa

Arachnosquire
My Hogna carolinensis MM is starting to learn that I bring him food. He's extremely alert and aware, and his prey drive is like no other. Clearly a very sight-driven species and one that is designed to react to stimuli very quickly.