how do you soften molt????

guywithspider

Arachnopeon
my rose just molted but i wanna know how to soften the old skin thou and is there any way if a leg breaks can it be put back on some way???? here is pics

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
to soften the molt, most people spray it alcohol (either isopropanol or ethanol, both are obtainable from a pharmarcy). You could use water but not as effective. Then pose or shape the molt however you like (you can still getnailed by urticating hairs by handling the molt so just careful). You can glue back legs but its difficult and doesn't look as nice (well when I did it any way).

There are a whole bunch of things you can do to then preserve the molt. Mount it in a shadow box, cast it in resin, pose it naturally, or just stick it in a box. Also many will spray it with a fixative to help preserve it (hairspray is a quick cheap method if noy the best)

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am tinkering with epoxy and silicone injection. A piece of straw inserted in each legs and glued from inside could work.. I'll try and see...

Jaygnar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use soapy water and a Q-tip. Then I use tweezers and pin the molt to a piece of styrofoam. Works great for me. I save my alcohol for drinking and giving to chicks.:) :)

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I happen to use a solution of both..

it was a recipe for microscope lens cleaner that I snurched from the internet.

it has a surfactant ( soap ) and some ethanol

works GREAT ..

dries a little slower than rubbing alcohol.

Last edited:

maarrrrr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jaygnar said:
I use soapy water and a Q-tip. Then I use tweezers and pin the molt to a piece of styrofoam. Works great for me. I save my alcohol for drinking and giving to chicks.:) :)
i agree :)

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its very easy to re-soften a moult without overdoing it. Simply setup one of your spare / carrying tanks to produce high-ish humidity, so damp peat moss, water bowl, and not much ventilation, and leave it in there 3 days.

It will emerge softly pliable... the difficult bit is not getting a new spider to justify your effort with the tank :)

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To sex a tarantula from an exuvium, I soften the shed with a drop or two of soap in a couple of tablespoons of water on a glass saucer. Then I use forceps and tooth picks to spread the opisthosoma and check for spermathecae using a jeweler's loupe. If the shed is in good shape, I'll transfer it to a piece of cardboard, spread it, and dry it to exhibit later or to give away. The "high humidity" method mentioned by Cerbera will also work, but you run the risk of mold.

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You could create a Relaxing Jar, which many entomologists use to soften dried insects. This is so that they can be repositioned in order to be presentable for display.

Just take a jar, put a damp paper towel at the bottom, close it, and leave the exuvia inside until it is soft and pliable. Since it's summer, you could leave the jar outside to up the humidity inside of it (don't put it in the sun though).

If there are breaks, clear glue will fix them.

Mold shouldn't be a problem if it isn't left inside the jar for too long.