How do you pick your names?

electra

Arachnopeon
Today, I got 2 slings, a Nhandu chromatus and a Lasiodora parahybana. My kids picked the names of my first three (Charlotte, Webster and Shadow (Grammostola pulchra)). I can't seem to come up with anything from their species names or their common names. Do you base your names on some feature, or just pick them out of the air? It was easier to pick my kids names. Lets have your input on this one. John.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I havent named any of mine yet. I guess I am still waiting for the right inspiration. Which ever turns out to be the nastiest will be named after a certain family member I don't get along with.... ;)

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sometimes it's related to the scientific or common name, such as my a. geniculata named "gene."

usually it's a name due to personality, color, or some other physical quality. three of my t. blondi are named "ms. munchie" (she's a pig!), "monster," and "chibi" (small and timid).

i also like to sneak in science references. for example, i have a female h. lividum named "coomassie" (a blue dye), two c. lamanai called "cassia" and "coumarin" (pure cinnamon and bastard cinnamon), and a female h. maculata named "rorschach."

sometimes nothing inspires me... my g. pulchra is named "blackie." :eek:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm fond of human names.

Rosehair female: Ophelia
Rosehair male (her husband, until she ate him): Hector (he's Hispanic, ya know. :rolleyes: )
B. smithi female: Roxanne
P. murinus: Peter (Every Peter I've ever known has had red hair.)
G. pulchra: Charlotte (Charlie if she turns out to be a he.) I've been saving that name for a G. pulchra, and I finally got one!

Of course, there are 12 others that don't have names yet. :wall:
Even though they have names, I still refer to them by their scientific names or catalog numbers. That's probably why I haven't been in any hurry to name the rest.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Today, I got 2 slings, a Nhandu chromatus and a Lasiodora parahybana. My kids picked the names of my first three (Charlotte, Webster and Shadow (Grammostola pulchra)). I can't seem to come up with anything from their species names or their common names. Do you base your names on some feature, or just pick them out of the air? It was easier to pick my kids names. Lets have your input on this one. John.
Keep letting the kids name them ! Keep them involved. Get them one for chirstmas :)

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I had to think of a name for my A.versi sling that would work for both genders, since it's unsexed. His/her name is Anguilla, an island in the Caribbean, since versis are from that general area. The islands that they're actually found on, Martinique and Guadeloupe, just don't interest me as names. So Anguilla is a neighboring island and is good enough. :D When I get more Ts in the future I might name a lot of them after general regions of where they're from, like I did with Anguilla.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm going to zap the fun right out of this. Here's a for instance of my naming process. I have 3 Megaphobema robustum. They are: Mrob 1, Mrob 2, and Mrob 3. :eek: They never come when they're called, anyway.

Elaine

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I named my GBB Tigger because of the orange and black abdomen but decided I didnt like the name so shortened it to Tigs.

My daughter named all the others with guys names, Frank, Matt, Eddie, Ronnie and Reggie. The first 3 after fighters in the UFC and the last 2 after the Cray brothers. They will probably all end up being female lol.

Elaine

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to zap the fun right out of this. Here's a for instance of my naming process. I have 3 Megaphobema robustum. They are: Mrob 1, Mrob 2, and Mrob 3. :eek: They never come when they're called, anyway.
you also have eleventy billion little guys. i'd run out of names too :D

i admit, i tend to only name ones i know are staying (mainly females) or unless a name just pops into my head. all the slings and males tend to go nameless.

Iggy22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I base the names off of there personalities or looks.

When I got my B. Albo sling, it was all black with a white patch on the abdomen. So, I names it Yuki, which means "snow" is japanese.

I named one of my G.Rosea's Chuck Norris cause he is a threat to mankind.

another G. Rosea named Mary Jane (red headed spider man love)

an A. avicularia named Gaberiel, cause he is an angel somedays, and a jerk the next.

and a g. rosea named Takeshi, which means "warrior" in japanese. It's my brothers name, so I used it.

omni

Arachnobaron
They few that I do name, usually are descriptive of their appearance. I named one of my p.scrofas "Ant", he's 1/4" and with the color, looks like those black and red ants.
My B. smithi escaped coming out of the shipping vial, so: "Alcatraz" :D

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I try and name all my T's but it becoming increasing difficult the more I get.
The names so far are.

G. rosea 'Rosie'
B. smithi 'Vala'
GBB 'Morticia'
L. parahybana 'Pink'
T. blondi 'Harry'
A. versicolour 'Thelma' and Im picking up another versi tommorrow at the BTS show, shes going to be called 'Louise'.
2x P. fasciata 'Pinky' and 'Perky'
C. fasciatum 'Tigger'

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I get my names from everywhere. I tend to pick a movie or theme and stick with it through a particular kind of T. For instance, my A. purpureas are named from the movie Flash Gorden. The male is General Kala, ( I know, Kala was a female, but the T was supposed to be too) my female is Princess Aura, and my little sling is Ming the Merciless.
The shipment of A. seemani slings that we just got ended up staying with my husband at work while he had to work late, so they all got computer names. Lycos, Jeeves, Alta, Rom, and Bit.
My GBB's have been named after characters in L. Frank Baum's Oz, and related stories. My mature male was Elphaba, from the play Wicked and my sling is Ozma.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like to use names that are not common. My first t who i got yeasterday i named Nert( got the name from MASH, Burns always says nerts to you)
I also have a list of names to use for future T's
Malus
Big Papi
Rowan
Sasquach
Loki
Johnny 5
Milpool
Novak
Smaha( also from MASH)

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The p. metallica's~ Sig and Kimber (after the gun manufacturers... these names actually came to me in a dream about 2 tarantulas. Seemed to fit these two pretty well.)

GBB~ Sway (What's not cool about that name?!?!)
T.Plumipes~ Boo (cause she is hella quick!)
P. Ornata~ Seven (After one of my favorite brands of jeans.)

No complicated naming done here... Just put a name to them that I liked. {D

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
I like Human names too

G. Rosea : Mitch
H. Gigas : Morgan
A. Avic : Millie

(Notice the theme?) Tho I'm thinking 'Maliris' for my next, a boss monster from Final Fantasy 9 (best game ever made) :)