How do you keep your t room free of urticating hairs!

Noah Blades

Arachnopeon
I was merely agreeing with you. :)

In all seriousness and with all due respect, the risk really shouldn't be considered rare. You are currently having eye problems and occupying a small room with 85 tarantulas! You even said that you are certain your eye problems are associated with being in that small room with all those T's and you have hairs accumulating on surfaces. You are not your average T keeper.

Again, it is your eyesight and I wish you well.
I know. Thank you for helping me. Seriously text is hard to read tone in. Appreciate all the help here

Noah Blades

Arachnopeon
I am in the waiting room at urgent care to have a doc look and tell me if I need further treatment

Noah Blades

Arachnopeon
Urgent care docs looked and could not see anything in the eye. But they do not have high powered microscopes. They are giving me an eye drops with antibiotics to use til Monday when I can see an optimologist. I will update the forum after with updates.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Urgent care docs looked and could not see anything in the eye. But they do not have high powered microscopes. They are giving me an eye drops with antibiotics to use til Monday when I can see an optimologist. I will update the forum after with updates.
I’m sure they will need very high powered lenses, go to an eye doctor they should be better equipped

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I run a Winix air cleaner in my room, they work really well for this type of application.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Preventing contact with the urticating hairs and minimising the amount of loose hairs in the room, is the best you'll be able to do, unless you only keep species that don't have the urticating hairs.

In my opinion, useful equipment, for use as a precaution against urticating hairs can include, but are not limited to; wearing rubber gloves, goggles/glasses, a face mask, long sleeved shirts, and long tongs for feeding & maintenance. Personally, I use a combination of common sense and 30cm tongs. The common sense part involves not disturbing the tarantulas whenever possible and keeping my face well away from enclosures. If you want to be more cautious you can use the other equipment. I've never knowingly been hit by hairs (yet).

If you're worried about urticating hairs in other parts of the room, I suggest vacuuming often. (Don't vacuum the T's or their enclosures though :p )

S15LVO

Arachnopeon
Any update?

YungRasputin

Arachnoknight
by keeping OW species :troll:

but really, my NW species don’t seem to kick hairs and i don’t really fool with my specimens outside of picking out crickets, filling water dish, dropping in crickets, etc

my A. seemanni prefers to bolt into its log hide, my T. vagans prefers to stay in its underground tunnels and my A. avic prefers to shoot poop

Last edited:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Noah Blades: “I'm guessing it's rare it's based on your freaking post which sites 3 patients. How many million tarantulas are owned in the world. Pretty rare is an educated guess”

I'm having my doubts that New World tarantulas would be owned all over the world. Due to strict import laws, it's probably mainly people in the Americas and some European countries that have to deal with urticating hairs from such tarantulas in the pet hobby. That's my assumption but I really don't know if NW Ts are available as pets in Africa and Asia. They are certainly not allowed in Australia. So I'm not sure if it would be millions of people who would own New Worlds. But yea I'd imagine serious eye issues resulting from urticating hairs would be pretty rare regardless.