How do you keep your records?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember there used to be an app of some sort for record keeping. I can't seem to find one now. So, how do y'all keep your records?

I want something on my phone as well as a binder. Just in case my phone explodes or something.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Google Sheets.

It's stored in my Gmail account so there's no chance of me ever losing it, I can access it from any device anywhere I am, and it's easy to maintain.

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
It's called iTarantula. I downloaded it after hearing about it a few years ago and it hasn't been updated so it's not of much use.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I need something too.

Do any of these apps automatically give the date time stamp and let you just select some buttons (attempted feed, rejected prey, etc.) instead of typing so much text?

The other curiosity / problem is when they use a custom format that you can't export to a different program or later version of the OS.

If "no" is the answer for both of those two questions it is almost better to just use your own spreadsheet or text document so you can make back ups.

EDIT* Or write it down and use your phone camera to make electronic backups.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I think the newer you are to the hobby in combination with multiple T's, the more it can help you to track more detail. This is especially true on molting where new owners can easily get impatient trying to figure out the eating habits and whether to disturb or not disturb a T in certain situations. That is why it would be nice to have an app that makes it easy to gather some of the simple information along with the date. I see no reason for myself to document type of prey, size of prey, etc. But size of your T might be something else worth noting occasionally.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
I know @EulersK loves his digital methods, personally I have a couple composition notebooks that I use about 1/3 of a page per spider for molt logs, and a page per spider for feeding logs.

Once I start feeding mass amounts of slings I'll probably use 1 page per sling group, and feed that group all at the same time.

Yup, old fashioned pen/paper. Of course there are downfalls to this method, just like there are with tech based logs. One thing tech based does have over pen/paper is its much easier to have a digital backup of said logs.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I use this app. It's not very pretty looking, but it is rather comprehensive.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tarantula.p3kb
I'm not sure but I think this is the same app that a member here produced and it's kept updated all the time. You can upload form google play as well as the website.
It also allows you to back up the data to a Drop Box account which are free.

Thread
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/so-i-made-an-application.256549/
website
http://tarantulas.p3kb.com/

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Google Sheets.

It's stored in my Gmail account so there's no chance of me ever losing it, I can access it from any device anywhere I am, and it's easy to maintain.
I've looked into all of the suggested apps. So far, this is going to be the one I use.

It's called iTarantula. I downloaded it after hearing about it a few years ago and it hasn't been updated so it's not of much use.
I can't seem to find this one.

Iphone notes aha. Not super organised but does the job :)
I like organized. Lol.

I've never had kept records, I only store it in my head.
I have a horrible memory. I keep post it notes stuck to my kids foreheads with their names on it. If I don't, I'll forget who they are.

I use the app called Tarantulas if you have an android.
I use iPhone. Best phones there is! Haha

I need something too.

Do any of these apps automatically give the date time stamp and let you just select some buttons (attempted feed, rejected prey, etc.) instead of typing so much text?

The other curiosity / problem is when they use a custom format that you can't export to a different program or later version of the OS.

If "no" is the answer for both of those two questions it is almost better to just use your own spreadsheet or text document so you can make back ups.

EDIT* Or write it down and use your phone camera to make electronic backups.
I keep it all written down in a binder already. I just want something electronic.

A little calendar with a picture of a kitten on it, though that's not gonna help you much haha
Why does it have to have a kitten? Wait, is the kitten dressed in funny little outfits?

Right, well, I´m a lazy person and I don´t keep track of such things. I just take a look in the enclosures on a daily basis to see if anything needs to be done...
Okay? Then you have no recommendation on an app. Right? Good deal!

I think the newer you are to the hobby in combination with multiple T's, the more it can help you to track more detail. This is especially true on molting where new owners can easily get impatient trying to figure out the eating habits and whether to disturb or not disturb a T in certain situations. That is why it would be nice to have an app that makes it easy to gather some of the simple information along with the date. I see no reason for myself to document type of prey, size of prey, etc. But size of your T might be something else worth noting occasionally.
I kept records when I first started. It has really just became a habit. Just part of the hobby for me.

I know @EulersK loves his digital methods, personally I have a couple composition notebooks that I use about 1/3 of a page per spider for molt logs, and a page per spider for feeding logs.

Once I start feeding mass amounts of slings I'll probably use 1 page per sling group, and feed that group all at the same time.

Yup, old fashioned pen/paper. Of course there are downfalls to this method, just like there are with tech based logs. One thing tech based does have over pen/paper is its much easier to have a digital backup of said logs.
I don't keep up with feeding. I do keep up with feeding refusal though.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Right, well, I´m a lazy person and I don´t keep track of such things. I just take a look in the enclosures on a daily basis to see if anything needs to be done...
This was fun friend :D and i agree with you at the same time :) No i dont register anything except for one thing!!!

That is when the females is mated, when they make sacs, and when the egg sac should be taken. That is the only useful info i need. :kiss::D

And for that i got a calender in the kitchen i look at daily. Easy and simple :D