How Do You House Your P.murinus?

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Historically, I kept my first RCF in Exo Terra faunariums, the plastic critter keeper style ones, where it would make high webs covering the entire top of the enclosure.

My current RCF is about 7 cm DLS and in a 20 cm (or 8 inch) cube with a cork tube placed diagonally, the base buried in the sub. I like it this way - as it has webbed up the tube, but regularly comes out to chill on the slope of the tube. It never climbs the tank walls or webs outside of the tube.

Now I’m about to acquire one of my most coveted spiders - the DCF! :eek: :D

How do you house your murinus? I’m trying to decide whether to mirror my current RCF enclosure or try something new!

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have good luck with deep substrate like a fossorial but a little more open up top.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
The KK is almost comically oversized because we didn't actually get to see the T in advance and the seller made it sound like it was the size of a cat. Tons of substrate, plenty of webbing points, a hide, and some moss. Oh, and a book because the latches on the hatch are kinda untrustworthy.

Attachments

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I have good luck with deep substrate like a fossorial but a little more open up top.
Spot on. Definitely give more open space up top so that it's less likely you'll rip any webbing up and be face to face with a cross OBT every time you open the lid

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve always provided substrate to burrow, but also cork slab at a 45.

I let them decide what is best for them. Some like my slabs, some don’t, some combine slab with their own design too

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
Seems most people offer a lot more substrate than I do for them. One of the things I love about this species is its adaptability. Might go with a tallish fossorboreal tank then - plenty of sub and leaning slab or tube.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I dont mind giving them semi arboreal or terrestrial setup I think either works but the current setup I have now is terrestrial. I provide long cork bark that I use for arboreals half round long and she just use it as her home to hide under. P.murinus is one of my most favorite species of spiders, just like GBB they web but only difference is the color, them being old world and gbb being new world and their venom being more potent than gbb but obt is amazing alternative to gbb if you want old world that webs alot

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Yeah! So many cool T’s, but this species tickled me from the start.
They are very cool tarantulas but the only time people get little bit nervous is when they have to rehouse them because obt is very fast, defensive tarantula and their venom is painful but once you learn better ways to rehouse them even a rehousing wont be that difficult. I do catch cup method that is 100% escape proof and if you would like to know I can teach you how it can be done if you dont already know

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
4" of substrate, snaggy stick with a burrow under it. Water dish, done. This is my former (died of old age) beloved Agnes right when I rehoused her. The entrance to her burrow is under and below her. She was just about to find it when I took this picture.